Help me, Chicken won't come out of nesting box.

buff

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Shippenville, PA
After my chickens were attacked by neighbors dog, I have this one buff (approx. 8months old) she would still come out of the chicken coop to feed. But on 11/22/10 she came out to feed as usual, but one of my Red-sex link hens jumped on her back like a rooster would, so she ran straight back to the coop for the rest of the day. Then 11/23/10 She never came out of the coop but I would and check on her she was always in a nesting box but she would be in different nesting boxes, so I thought maybe she was out getting something to eat. Well, this morning she was still in the nesting box didn't seem like she was going to come out so I took her out of the box and out of the coop. When I sat her down she just sat there and kind like her beak was chattering as if she was cold, like we do when where cold we chattering our teeth. Then she finally got up and puffed out her feathers and was kind of sqwaking, had a huge poop then went over to eat. She was eating like she has eaten for days. She is very submissive to me when I get near her. She didn't drink anything. then went back into a nesting box again. I am going to go down and take her out again but I was wandering if anyone ever had a chicken do this before. Or if anyone could tell me what could be wrong with her. Do chicken get upset if another chicken gets killed by a predator as if they miss them? I need help on what I need to do or how to figure out what is wrong with her? She don't seem to have any injures that I could see. When I reach in to get her out of the box she is very mean. But when I get her out and hold her and talk to she kinda like purrs. Someone please help me?
idunno.gif

Can chickens go broody at 8 months? I don't have roos, cause I have a 4 yr & 2 yr old daugthers, so I can't give her any fert eggs. So how do I get her out of her broody mood? And where can I find out more info on chickens going broody? Thanks for help.

Yep! She is broody broody broody! Get that girl some fertile eggs.
big_smile.png
I had a Buff Orp. that went broody before she ever laid an egg. She was persistent as the day was long, I couldn't break her of it no matter what. She sat on a golf ball for almost 4 mos. I did not have any fertile eggs for her and I started to worry about her getting weak, so I called around to the feed stores to see who might have chicks. Found one feed store in another town that had 5 chicks left. I went and got them and slipped them under her immediately upon getting them home. She was a very happy camper and a very good momma. Funny thing is......she is now over 3 years old and has not been broody since.
smile.png

Do I just keep taking her out of the nesting box, will this break her of being broody or will I have to go and get baby chicks? Never had a hen go broody. Is this why the other chickens are mean to her?

I have a BO that goes broody about every 6 weeks and I don't want any chicks. I take her out and place her in a dog crate out in the chicken run and after about a day she stops. Sometimes in the summer I will run cold water over her bottom and this will also break the broody.

Thanks I will have to try something like that cause I don't have a dog crate and I also don't want any chicks especially at this time of year when its getting cold. Thank everyone for help and suggestions.

When I have a broody i don't want, I just keep taking her off her nest, or sometimes I let her stay until she breaks on her own. I think it would be kind of cold on her to put cold water on her bum in the middle of winter.

Back
Top Bottom