Help me Convince DH about Gray Toulouse Gesse

swampducks

Overrun With Guineas
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
Barton City, MI
And maybe even myself. :)

We drove to his parent's farm for supper last night and passed a house with free ranging guineas and 2 of the prettiest geese I have ever seen! (I've only ever seen Canada geese and those big white ones). I looked them up on line and they had to be Toulouse.

So, I've read some but having said for years I won't get geese (I used to say that about chickens) what are the advantages, disadvantages and why these?

I have muscovy ducks, guineas and chickens. I also have a small pond that unfortunately attracts a mink now.

A few questions: DO geese spend more time on the water or in the grass? Where do they prefer to sleep? What do they like to eat?

How much poo do they really put out? I am a goose novice.

Geese graze like cattle and poop like medium sized dogs. You will love them.

If you want toulouse look at the dewlap toulouse.
smile.png

Geese in my opinion are way smarter than ducks. xD

But I love my ducks too...

Geese would probably most definately spend most of their time mowing your lawn for you. AND, if you raise them right, they could be like pets! Perdi is mildly tamed, but she comes up to us if we have grass and eats it straight out of our hand.

A guest even remarked to us once that "I've never met a goose that didn't want to take my hand off!"

Perdi stayed out of the dog house all this winter, which was way below zero several times. She just fluffed up and stuck her head in her feathers. Of course I felt bad for her, but she didn't seem to mind. Just be careful that they don't freeze on the pond or get frostbite (if you live in a clod climate).

As to what they like to eat... Well... Grass. And lots of it!

And the poo is just larger than ducks. It's usually (a little) dryer and greener, and smells less since it's mostly grass and weeds.

I know you must love your ducks, but I think you'll like your geese better!
lol.png

I try not to have favorites...
wink.png

The local hatchery only sells gray toulouse, embden and african. Of the 3 I think the toulouse is prettiest. I told DH about your poop thoughts. He looked at me like I was weird.
roll.png

HAHAHA! I laughed at the poop comment.

Tell him that some geese will follow you around and honk quietly when you pet them and feed them grass.
smile.png

OOOOH!! African geese!
They're -LOUD- but small, and the ones most often used as 'weeders' even if you should only put them in with established plants. They like small green things. PLUS, they lay the most eggs of all the geese, even if it's only about 100 a year or so...

But I'm biased. 'Cause I have one. =P
If I could, I'd get a Buff goose and a brown chinese... Don't buy one goose! She's lonely, and I didn't know this before I bought them.

They really do prefer to be in pairs.
(But sometimes in trios.)

I love my geese!! I can't figure out why I didn't have them years ago!! They are wonderful and I really enjoy them!! Toulouse are suppose to be very mellow and laid back, a good choice I think!!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom