Help me decide on small coop build, please!

GemmaA

Chirping
Oct 23, 2017
Clinton, OH
Hi folks! I am hoping to put together a small, sturdy coop to get 2-3 hens through the winter. In the Spring, I'll start a much larger build for a big, walk-in, luxury coop.

I'm torn between buying a prefab coop, weather treating it, adding wood glue to all joints, and using hardware cloth to make predator proof. These are two coops I am considering for that:

https://smile.amazon.com/LAZYMOON-C...rd_wg=bhpax&psc=1&refRID=BRSM5GF8WMX1TB8TDHKM

https://smile.amazon.com/Best-Choic...8&qid=1509044427&sr=1-4&keywords=chicken+coop

My other option is to repair an old hutch that I have behind my barn. I'm not sure what it was used for originally (we just bought this house 3 months ago) but it has dividers in to make the space very small. I'd pull those out, add ventilation, a secure locking door, as well as nest boxes, and then attach a run to it. I can either build the run or purchase something like this:
https://smile.amazon.com/Chicken-Ra...ords=chicken+coop&refinements=p_72:2661618011

Here's what I have to work with:

20171024_183750.jpg

20171024_183803.jpg

My final thought is to build a basic coop with nest boxes, put it up against the back of the shed, and use the old swing set to build a triangular chicken run.

20171024_183813_resized.jpg

My limits here are time and lack of skills! I am NOT handy at all, and my head starts to hurt the minute I look at plans and measurements. My husband is the builder but is slammed with work and won't have the time to commit to any major help. He can probably assist with measurements and guide me on what to purchase but that's about it. So I really need to keep things as simple as possible.

Any thoughts on these ideas? I would appreciate the input!

I purchased a premade coop similar to what you are looking at to start out. I did the same, weather proofed it and used wood glue all around. It has been one year and it is on it’s last leg. Even with all that extra put into it, it didn’t make it last any longer. If you don’t mind spending the money knowing it will most likely just get you through til you can build your big one, then go for it. I do think it will be a bit better than trying to use that old hutch.

Hi folks! I am hoping to put together a small, sturdy coop to get 2-3 hens through the winter. In the Spring, I'll start a much larger build for a big, walk-in, luxury coop.

I'm torn between buying a prefab coop, weather treating it, adding wood glue to all joints, and using hardware cloth to make predator proof. These are two coops I am considering for that:

https://smile.amazon.com/LAZYMOON-C...rd_wg=bhpax&psc=1&refRID=BRSM5GF8WMX1TB8TDHKM

https://smile.amazon.com/Best-Choic...8&qid=1509044427&sr=1-4&keywords=chicken+coop

My other option is to repair an old hutch that I have behind my barn. I'm not sure what it was used for originally (we just bought this house 3 months ago) but it has dividers in to make the space very small. I'd pull those out, add ventilation, a secure locking door, as well as nest boxes, and then attach a run to it. I can either build the run or purchase something like this:
https://smile.amazon.com/Chicken-Rabbit-Enclosure-Playpen-Exercise/dp/B00OVUBOAK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1509049471&sr=8-5&keywords=chicken+coop&refinements=p_72:2661618011

Here's what I have to work with:

View attachment 1170511
View attachment 1170512

My final thought is to build a basic coop with nest boxes, put it up against the back of the shed, and use the old swing set to build a triangular chicken run.

View attachment 1170516

My limits here are time and lack of skills! I am NOT handy at all, and my head starts to hurt the minute I look at plans and measurements. My husband is the builder but is slammed with work and won't have the time to commit to any major help. He can probably assist with measurements and guide me on what to purchase but that's about it. So I really need to keep things as simple as possible.

Any thoughts on these ideas? I would appreciate the input!
I personally would fix what I have to get me through the winter. Doesn't have to be fancy just has to work

I agree with @blackdog043 if you don't have the hens yet, wait. If you do and like @LoveMyChickies8 said if you don't mind the money spent buy a coop. Look up on Google cheep but sturdy chicken coops to get reviews and such. Or even Craigslist it people are always selling little sheds and coops or just stuff you can convert to a coop. We made our out of just pallet wood and hardwire cloth when we first moved to Oklahoma and just added stuff to it each year and it lasted a bad snow and all the wind. Just put paint drops around the whole thing in winter and they were fine. They free ranged so they were only in it at night.

Thank you all for commenting!

I don't have the hens now BUT I found a hen in the city on Monday and fell in love with her. It seems like she fell off the back of a truck on the way to processing based on her breed and severely trimmed beak (I still have found ads up, though). it's getting cold here so I searched for a good home with a proper coop set up for her because I want her to be safe. A friend connected me to an amazing woman who is happy to keep her or foster for me while I work on getting a coop set up. I really want to bring my little hen back home as soon as I can. I really fell for her.

I've been looking at some coop plans this morning and I think I might try and build my dream coop now. I'm going to have my husband go over the blueprints with me and we can buy the supplies together. the plans have step by step instructions and photos so I am hoping I can manage by myself.

I think that's probably the best idea.. We bought 40 acres in North FL (decided to go back to our home state from oklahoma) and we wanted to move our animals so bad but waited til about 5 months ago to move the. So we could build our coop. They were so happy to move into the nice big coop! Can't wait to see the coop you build. You can also get more ideas in the coop section of the site. That's where I got some of my ideas with building mine. And when your building your a take lots of photos in prosses and then make ypirnown article everyone will love to see it!!

What ever you build, plan on a minimum of 4 s.f. in coop and 10 s.f. in run per bird, allowing extra space if: you ever plan to have a roo, if you ever intend to integrate more birds, if you ever intend to hatch eggs or allow a broody hen to do her thing, also good to allow extra space to divide coop or provide a broody pen, sick pen, or what ever. Make run tall enough to allow for multi height "fun" : Best if it's a "walk in". Hay bale pyramids/tunnels, extra perch. Coop should be tall enough that perches are 2' above ground, and 2' above perch minimum. Walk in is best. Deep litter in both coop and run are extra helpful. Make pop door and nest boxes appropriate height to allow for DL. My run has 2 x 6 boards around bottom perimeter to help hold the DL.

Back
Top Bottom