Help me name special baby chick

chickmom137

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 26, 2012
The story of this special baby chick:

Yesterday was my daughter, Camryn's, 14th birthday - we also thought that we'd have some babies hatch, too. Our silkie, Jade, was laying on one of her eggs, and 3 eggs from another chicken not brooding.

Last night, when we got home, I went outside to settle the chickens in for the night and decided to check under Jade just to be sure nothing had hatched - Camryn really wanted to have one hatch on her birthday. Low and behold, Jade's baby hatched, but I couldn't find it. Panic set in as I looked through the nest, all through the coop, and then ran inside for a flashlight. Checked the pen, and found this little baby stiff on the cold ground underneath the coop. Camryn rushes into the pen and under the coop, scooping up the baby and running inside. Following her to the bathroom, she hands me the baby and tells me she's gone (not sure if it is a she, just calling it that). Camryn takes off crying - see our chickens are also loved pets!

So, I sat down in front of the heater in our bathroom stroking this icy cold, stiff little body that was Jade's first baby, just looking for some sort of life. She opened her mouth like she was taking a breath, but I thought it had to be just reflexes - she didn't appear to be breathing, and she was sooo cold and stiff. I took her into the kitchen to show my husband, preparing to bury our newborn chick. As I held her in the light, I thought I saw her eye twitch ever so slightly. So, thinking survival mode, I placed her underneath my shirt...............between my boobs. Okay, now you can laugh ......... ..................................................................

She was so cold and lifeless, but I just had to try! A few moments later, I thought I felt her barely move, but couldn't be sure. My husband asked where she was, so I lifted my shirt and showed him when she moved! I took her to my daughter's room where she was still crying and told her she was still alive. After drying her eyes, she looked and the baby moved again, although it did look like she was dead - her head flopped sideways as a limp body would, and her eyes remained closed. But, I knew she was alive. A few minutes later, she began to chirp. Our hearts overflowed with joy!

She would chirp, nuzzle my neck or elsewhere, and fall asleep. I kept her with me a few more hours to help bring her body temperature up before returning her to her mother - after moving her to the dog crate in our garage so that this would not happen again! Jade welcomed her baby under her breast and they settled in for the night. This morning she has another chick in the nest with her.

I can't say I'm not worried about her since she fell about 3 1/2 feet to the cold hard ground. I have no idea how long she was out there in almost freezing temp. She didn't seem very steady on her feet last night, but I hoped that to be the cold. This morning she was moving, but seemed a little unsteady still - I will monitor this afternoon when I get home from work. Any ideas for a chick if something happens to their legs or ankle region?

I would love some help with names. What I thought of was Miracle and calling her Mimi, Destiny for Destiny Child's "I'm a Survivor" song, or even Victoria calling her Tori for Victoria's Secret in reference to the undergarments. Anyone have any ideas?

Sorry it's soo long! :)

She has 5 toes like her mom and signs that she'll have feathered feet like her, also.

wow, and yes, i did laugh in the beginning of your post! your instincts were spot on :) glad the chickie is okay.
my first thoughts for a name was milagro. spanish for miracle...

Whoa!!! What a story!!! I know there's someone on here with a chicken's name Miracle. It is a cool name, and would be appropriate for the chick!!! Great save with your instincts!
lol.png

I'm glad she is ok! I cracked up when you said you put her under your shirt, but in that position I would have done the exact same thing :) I also agree with chickencrazy429, I like the name miracle, and think it fits well given the situation

Cool thought, Milagro.....However, my daughter doesn't like "Miracle." She thinks it's too common a name with almost death stories. lol She's been leaning towards "Precious." I could live with that, because she is. :) Thank you for all you thoughts and comments!

Audrey means noble strength, valerie means healthy and strong, vivianna means alive, carlin means strong one, bridget also means strong. Carlin can be for a boy or girl and can be shortened to carly. Do you like any of these?

OMG! I almost cried when I read that! Did the baby survive? What did you decide to name it? I never would have thought to stick it in my bra! What an amazing story.

Back
Top Bottom