help me please!

skylark

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 26, 2013
I posted a few days ago about a singleton chick but the saga continues...

short story, 9 eggs in inci (welsummer and welsummer x CLB) . Day 20 first thing, one of the X breeds hatches. That chick is now a healthy 4 day old chick , in the brooder with 2 CLB friends I bought in for her :)

However..... I was about to abandon my other eggs and do egg topsies, openened one at the aircell end to find a moving chick, and feet. I didnt break any membrane or anything and quickly set it back in the inci. That was 12 hours ago and the chick has cheeped and made a tiny pip itself now - at the wrong end. I know its not likely this chick will make it but does anyone have any advice? Can a hatch really be 4 - 5 days apart?

are you comfortable/have you read up on assisted hatching? Is the egg under a broody? I have never done any assisted hatchings with a broody, so I do not know how that would work.

orr.. you could try to let nature take it's course, sometimes chicks that are malpositioned do make it out on their own...

Give the chick at least 20 hours to hatch on it's own, so long as it can breathe o.k. as it is now it should be fine. I've seen malpositioned chicks hatch unassisted, so it's possible. As long as it can manoeuvre in there it should make it. If it's really stuck you will need to help it a little. This article explains to how to's and whens:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Hatches usually spread out over 2-3 days, but I have had late hatchers arriving up to 4 days after their buddies.

Back
Top Bottom