HELP ME Quick - my new babies are dying

mlmadura

Songster
11 Years
May 1, 2008
ms
sad.png
ok so i lost my runt yesterday at 11 days old -

today another of my light brown leghorn girls is acting strange.
(I did separate the sick one as soon as i realized it was sick).
This one is one of my bigger girls - she lays around and seems weak her neck will go to the side - she will drink if i coax her - i have given her vitamins and am now trying oatmeal yogurt and crumbles with a dropper- she is not having labored breathing like the other one did and she will walk and chirp a little if i shoo her
Dh is worried that they are getting too hot during the day ( i ahev the brooder temp at about 85-90 but during the day when we are not home it is probably 100 degrees in the bathroom where they are they have adequate water and a big enough brooder so that they can get away from the heat lamp.
He is also worried it may be viral.
i dont have a clue!

Somebody please help me quick!!!

At 11 days old 100 degrees is a lttle to warm. Try keeping the temp around 90 with as much cool water as you can give them. When you are working I know this is hard, try rigging a water flow system. You say they are in the bathroom which is good for what I want. Have DH put the brooder in or on the tub. Rig a small hose to the cold water, run it to the waterer. Set the waterer in a corner slightly lower than the other end of the brooder. Drill a small hole in the bottom of the brooder so any water can run out. Let the water run
all the time. This you give the chicks cool water all the time and help keep the temp down.

proper and sufficient ventilation is so very important... make sure you have a window open in that bathroom and if you have a ventilator turn it on.

the one with weak neck..
is this a chick?
or an older hen?

if a chick in the brooder..
make sure there is no spilled feed getting wet and sitting in the heat..and going bad..
or dirty water under the heat.

"limber neck" can be a symptom of Botulism.
so, if this is an older hen...check her area for any bad food, kitchen scraps that have gone bad, compost pile, etc..

we made it through the night - i really think she was dehydrated from the heat. i am still having to coax her to eat. so we are not out of the woods yet.
i have changed the bathroom situation and i am at home today so i can watch the babies.
im hoping thats all it was.

you know the crazy thing is i was gonna put my brooder on my back screeened porch but dh said that he thought it would get too hot out there = crazy thing being a new first time chicken mama!!!

Thanks for everyones support!
smile.png

Ventilation, I have found is one of the most important factors in sick chicks if they are in a small area. If you can take them out a little and let them run around outside and cut one side of the brooder box and replace it with screen so air can get into it , this will help so much. I had a friend that had chicks acting like yours and when she moved them to another location they improved right away. Also, I agree they are too warm for the age. Try these things and the others mentioned , esp water at all times, in the posts and see if this helps. Good Luck!
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom