Help me select a breed

If you cross them with New Hampshires and don't breed too tufted birds together you shouldn't have any issues. Or just buy an Araucana with no tufts in the first place.
Yes. If you breed two tufted Araucanas together 25 percent of the offspring have no tufts, which is typically not what the breeder wants, so if you ask I'm sure the breeder would be happy to get rid of some of the non-tufted ones.

This

Australorps are great for that, they do not like to stray from home. I have a bunch of Australorps and they are amazing. The sweetest little things, I would suggest getting a roo as well if you are able to. The roos are vary sweet to.
Very friendly roos!! This guy eats out of my hands and lets me pick him up!
SAP_0243.JPG

Thank you for your answer.
Are australorps heat and cold tolerant?
Do they go broody once in a while?
Are their egg production numbers true?
Are they good foragers?
Great foragers, very cold tolerant, my lady does lay one big tan egg every single day.
Don't know about broodies, but when she wants she can tell the other chickas to back OFF!!

Yes i know that there are at least two breeders that have Araucanas but i read about them having a deadly gene so i prefer the Ameraucanas which they don t have it.
Check on what Araucanas are like in your country.

In the USA, "Araucanas" are supposed to have the ear tuft gene (that's the deadly one.) If you choose Araucanas with no ear tufts, they are fine. Breeding tufted chickens always produces some chicks with no tufts (and the breeders may be willing to sell the un-tufted chicks more cheaply, because they are not "right" for the breed.)

In England and Australia, "Araucanas" have muff/beard on their face and a crest of feathers on their head, but no ear tufts. So no deadly genes involved there.

Same breed name, same ability to lay blue eggs, different appearance and different genes.

So definitely check on what ones are in your country, before you rule out the breed. And even if the breeders have the USA-style ones with ear tufts, you can ask about non-tufted birds.

So these non tufted birds produce non tufted offspring or the chicks might be tufted?
Sorry for the too many questions.
In Greece there are the tufted ones.

Check on what Araucanas are like in your country.

In the USA, "Araucanas" are supposed to have the ear tuft gene (that's the deadly one.) If you choose Araucanas with no ear tufts, they are fine. Breeding tufted chickens always produces some chicks with no tufts (and the breeders may be willing to sell the un-tufted chicks more cheaply, because they are not "right" for the breed.)

In England and Australia, "Araucanas" have muff/beard on their face and a crest of feathers on their head, but no ear tufts. So no deadly genes involved there.

Same breed name, same ability to lay blue eggs, different appearance and different genes.

So definitely check on what ones are in your country, before you rule out the breed. And even if the breeders have the USA-style ones with ear tufts, you can ask about non-tufted birds.

We fall under the EAP, but have no poultry club of our own. The EAP calls for both tufted and bearded, as well as bearded araucana. Honestly I don't find many non-tufted birds while looking around. @chickengr Is an araucana expert, and also happens to live in Greece

Back
Top Bottom