Help! Moving to a New House with First Flock!

BrahmaMama5

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2023
I'm new here, so I'll try to keep it brief in a hello and please help me post! I have NO idea how we are going to make our new house's yard work for our animals. I had chickens for years as a child and loved caring for them. We finally got 6 baby Brahmas, quickly reduced to 5 - my favorite did not do well with the shipping. They are nearly 3 weeks old and doing great! Our Texas Heeler (turned 1 the day after chicks were born) is also getting along so well with them. They are still in their brooder, and we're looking forward to supervised outside play next week!

Our current yard is fantastic for chickens. Lots of room for these soon-to-be backyard giants, huge shed/coop, lots of bugs and few predators. We weren't planning to move. And now we are. We're closing next week on an amazing lakefront property with a house our whole family can grow into. But I have no clue what to do with our animals.

1. There is currently no fence around the property. There's not much yard anyway. We're not sure how much land is ours to the left (neighbor has a dock that's close,) and don't want to get a survey right now. It doesn't look like much, if any, could even be fenced.

2. There's a small patch between the house and garage where smaller chickens were kept by a previous owner. The majority of the "yard" space that we could potentially fence in is just a slope with rocks to prevent erosion. There is a lot of driveway, connected in a loop to the only neighboring house, and a small green space in the center of the loop that is ours.

3. Before getting to our house, some neighbors have free range chickens. I'm not sure what the predator situation will be like and know that Brahmas can get picked on. I want to keep them safe!

Is it dangerous to have them by a lake anyway or I have watched too much Moana? I imagine rocks would be hot, so are there any alternative landscaping things we can do to give them more room and prevent erosion in our flood zone? Should I just let them free range a lot? The neighbors are older, have dogs, and I plan on introducing ourselves quickly! A single man lived there before, and we're about to bust in that house with an energetic dog, 5 big ol' chickens, 2 rowdy preschoolers, and a new baby to follow in a couple months! Please give me ANY tips for how to make sure our chickens are happy and healthy in the new lakefront house!

I'm new here, so I'll try to keep it brief in a hello and please help me post! I have NO idea how we are going to make our new house's yard work for our animals. I had chickens for years as a child and loved caring for them. We finally got 6 baby Brahmas, quickly reduced to 5 - my favorite did not do well with the shipping. They are nearly 3 weeks old and doing great! Our Texas Heeler (turned 1 the day after chicks were born) is also getting along so well with them. They are still in their brooder, and we're looking forward to supervised outside play next week!

Our current yard is fantastic for chickens. Lots of room for these soon-to-be backyard giants, huge shed/coop, lots of bugs and few predators. We weren't planning to move. And now we are. We're closing next week on an amazing lakefront property with a house our whole family can grow into. But I have no clue what to do with our animals.

1. There is currently no fence around the property. There's not much yard anyway. We're not sure how much land is ours to the left (neighbor has a dock that's close,) and don't want to get a survey right now. It doesn't look like much, if any, could even be fenced.

2. There's a small patch between the house and garage where smaller chickens were kept by a previous owner. The majority of the "yard" space that we could potentially fence in is just a slope with rocks to prevent erosion. There is a lot of driveway, connected in a loop to the only neighboring house, and a small green space in the center of the loop that is ours.

3. Before getting to our house, some neighbors have free range chickens. I'm not sure what the predator situation will be like and know that Brahmas can get picked on. I want to keep them safe!

Is it dangerous to have them by a lake anyway or I have watched too much Moana? I imagine rocks would be hot, so are there any alternative landscaping things we can do to give them more room and prevent erosion in our flood zone? Should I just let them free range a lot? The neighbors are older, have dogs, and I plan on introducing ourselves quickly! A single man lived there before, and we're about to bust in that house with an energetic dog, 5 big ol' chickens, 2 rowdy preschoolers, and a new baby to follow in a couple months! Please give me ANY tips for how to make sure our chickens are happy and healthy in the new lakefront house!
Welcome to BYC!!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

In the short term, I would setup an area to the left with electrified poultry netting. The neighbors dogs may very well want to go after the chickens. How far away is that space from the coop? Is the coop large enough for your flock? Will you be building a new coop? I would certain talk to the neighbor and ask him/her to show you the property line stakes.

Back
Top Bottom