Help my 2 month old duck sounds congested and is breathing with her bill open

DarlaDarla

Hatching
Nov 4, 2020
Okay so I am a first time duck owner and my two month old pekin duckling sounds as if she has a cold? I woke up this morning and she had like snot? Covering one of her nostrils so I cleaned it off with a wet rag she has water where she can blow anything out of her nostrils and it doesn’t look like anything is in there. And as soon as she lays down she begins to heavily breath with her bill open. I put AVC in her water this morning but she’s still breathing like that. Also her quack sounds like raspy? Is it possible for ducklings to get a cold or something similar? This is my first time raising a duck and everything that seems slightly off puts me into a panic...I will check this thread in the morning if anyone has any advice I thank you in advance

Could be caused by several problems, but with Pekins, it's often heat-related even though you think the temperature may be comfortable for them they often pant in-room temperature conditions.

If you could post a video, that would help determine if it's just heat-related, or possibly something like brooder pneumonia.

To post a video, upload it to a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here.

Updated, I woke up this morning and she seemed to have had the same stuff in her nostrils as the last time so I took her a nice warm bath and she got it all out and seems to be doing fine her even quack sounds better. I hoping she remains this way and if it starts again I will post a video thank you for you input :)

I may have spoke too soon but she only does this when she’s laying down I’m so confused because everything else checks out fine.

Back
Top Bottom