HELP! My 8wk Saxony barely keeping her L eye open and has a hoarse voice (new vid )

@casportpony can give advise on best course of meds
Awesome! Seriously, I appreciate you all so much. I just want to do whatever is best for her. I’m leaning towards not bringing her into the house bc when she and her sister are separated they both freak out. So I’m hoping with the clean water in the bathing pool she’ll be able to flush anything out? Do I just put acv in her water and just keep checking on her the next couple of days? Or if there’s a med I should give her? Even though she’s acting normal I know that keeping an eye closed is not normal and her voice is not normal so had to come to you guys. Thank you again for your insight and guidance.

Thank you for responding with the info! She’s probably only about 4- 4.5 lbs right now. What do her symptoms sound like to you?
You will need an exact weight. Can you purchase a food or postal scale? Her symptoms do sound like they might be a respiratory infection, and if she were mine I would probably try giving the Baytril.

You will need an exact weight. Can you purchase a food or postal scale? Her symptoms do sound like they might be a respiratory infection, and if she were mine I would probably try giving the Baytril.
Thank you for the link I’m ordering the stuff now. Once I get the baytrill, will I have to quarantine her so that she’s the only one drinking the antibiotic. Or how best do I go about making sure she drinks enough of it. I don’t want my other birds drinking the antibiotics if I could somehow avoid that.

quarantine her so that she’s the only one drinking the antibiotic
You need to give it orally, not in water. I know the instructions say to put it in water, but trust me, it must be given orally, and there are several reasons why...
  • She must get a precise dose and giving it the water does not guarantee that.
  • If you have hard water, the Baytril can bind with the minerals in the water which will make it less effective.
  • It's very bitter and many birds will not drink water medicated with it.
So back to her weight... Will you be able to weigh her?

You need to give it orally, not in water. I know the instructions say to put it in water, but trust me, it must be given orally, and there are several reasons why...
She must get a precise dose and giving it the water does not guarantee that.
  • If you have hard water, the Baytril can bind with the minerals in the water which will make it less effective.
yes I have a scale at home so I’ll hold her see what the weight is and then weigh myself and subtract the difference. And good to know I can do it with the dropper. So should I still leave her out there even though the days temps are around 50-55 and drop to about 39 at night. Or does she need to be kept inside for a few days( my reservation against this is I’m afraid I’ll stress her too much being away from her sister and flock

Last edited:
  • She must get a precise dose and giving it the water does not guarantee that.

she is officially 4.9 lbs

I don’t mean to interrupt the advice...I’m only commenting on the beauty of your duck. I also have two Saxony ducks..Lou and Louise. They are so dear. My avatar is Lou as a duckling...lol.. I wish you all the best of luck with Mo because I truly know what is like to have a sick duck...and, please take care.
Why thank you! I love the names of your saxony! Too cute. I too am very attached to my girls ( and Donald) and as soon as I notice something might be off, I then go into my analytical “mode” and immediately go into : First, identify the issue, 2nd look up any possible causes or explanation, 3rd and most importantly ( I’ve found) Connect with Backyard chickens!!! Lol!
This is all new to me so when I run across issues or have questions it’s been so wonderful to have so many willing people to help. Hopefully once I’ve been doing this long enough I can help newbies like me!:woot

Back
Top Bottom