HELP! My 8wk Saxony barely keeping her L eye open and has a hoarse voice (new vid )

Pics

Norcalexplorer

Songster
Sep 3, 2019
Northern California
Topic below the pics
3ACD199A-E045-4083-A959-4C181673CAA0.jpeg

3282A91B-21C4-4322-9CFD-5DE6E3EC2B21.jpeg

Her with her eye closed

7656853D-43BC-4A08-A393-8A506636F793.jpeg
Hi my fellow bird lovers, as the title reads my 8 week old saxony is barely opening her left eye. When she does open it I can see the corner is red and irritated. As I was spending time with beauties this morning I also noticed her voice is very hoarse. I love my flock with all my heart and just wanted to ask the experts of what I’m dealing with here and what is the best course of action I should take?
Here are the best photos I could catch. Thank you all for your time!!
Here’s the video of her hoarseness

Attachments

• 7544BD2B-F3DC-44C0-8B2F-1118A098CE16.jpeg
    7544BD2B-F3DC-44C0-8B2F-1118A098CE16.jpeg
    322.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
That seems rather like a respiratory issue. Do your ducks have acess to water deep enough for them to stick their head in? Respiratory issues often come with presentation in the eye because there is a sinus just under the eye. Maybe try a fresh water bath and adding some apple cider vinegar to her drinking water? I had to give my drake a bath in the house with a full bathtub of water. An hour of splashing and bubble blowing later his eyes stopped having discharge and he is now acting much more lively.

Why thank you! I love the names of your saxony! Too cute. I too am very attached to my girls ( and Donald) and as soon as I notice something might be off, I then go into my analytical “mode” and immediately go into : First, identify the issue, 2nd look up any possible causes or explanation, 3rd and most importantly ( I’ve found) Connect with Backyard chickens!!! Lol!
This is all new to me so when I run across issues or have questions it’s been so wonderful to have so many willing people to help. Hopefully once I’ve been doing this long enough I can help newbies like me!:woot
You will find this group extremely helpful. You you right to act as soon as you noticed she’d taken ill.

I also keep Saxony ducks and reached out to the group for help when 1 of only 2 Saxony ducks that hatched this year suddenly took ill. Sadly by the time I was able to get her driven to an Avian Vet shed already gone septic.
I’ve found my Saxony ducks tend to be more susceptible to respiratory infections and the extreme heat conditions we experience in Florida. I still love them most of all and hope our 4-H program will have better results with bringing some new bloodlines into the incubation program this year.

That seems rather like a respiratory issue. Do your ducks have acess to water deep enough for them to stick their head in? Respiratory issues often come with presentation in the eye because there is a sinus just under the eye. Maybe try a fresh water bath and adding some apple cider vinegar to her drinking water? I had to give my drake a bath in the house with a full bathtub of water. An hour of splashing and bubble blowing later his eyes stopped having discharge and he is now acting much more lively.
Did you put anything in the tub water? Or just warm water? I was leaning towards respiratory too bc of the very quiet hoarseness sounds she’s making.
And her best friend Mo, who she grew up, the two of them are inseparable so should I bring Mo in for a warm bath too or leave mo with the rest of the flock bc I don’t want whatever little strudel has to spread. Thoughts? Thank you so much for replying!

Last edited:
If she’s been with the flock anyway no reason to separate. Is a vet an option? Respiratory infections don’t just go away they need antibiotics if that is what’s wrong. If it’s cold where you are and you bring your duck in for a warm bath then take her back outside you risk her chilling. If your going to bring her inside best keep her inside.

Back
Top Bottom