HELP! My 8wk Saxony barely keeping her L eye open and has a hoarse voice (new vid )

Pics

Norcalexplorer

Songster
Sep 3, 2019
Northern California
Topic below the pics
3ACD199A-E045-4083-A959-4C181673CAA0.jpeg

3282A91B-21C4-4322-9CFD-5DE6E3EC2B21.jpeg

Her with her eye closed

7656853D-43BC-4A08-A393-8A506636F793.jpeg
Hi my fellow bird lovers, as the title reads my 8 week old saxony is barely opening her left eye. When she does open it I can see the corner is red and irritated. As I was spending time with beauties this morning I also noticed her voice is very hoarse. I love my flock with all my heart and just wanted to ask the experts of what I’m dealing with here and what is the best course of action I should take?
Here are the best photos I could catch. Thank you all for your time!!
Here’s the video of her hoarseness

Attachments

• 7544BD2B-F3DC-44C0-8B2F-1118A098CE16.jpeg
    7544BD2B-F3DC-44C0-8B2F-1118A098CE16.jpeg
    322.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
That seems rather like a respiratory issue. Do your ducks have acess to water deep enough for them to stick their head in? Respiratory issues often come with presentation in the eye because there is a sinus just under the eye. Maybe try a fresh water bath and adding some apple cider vinegar to her drinking water? I had to give my drake a bath in the house with a full bathtub of water. An hour of splashing and bubble blowing later his eyes stopped having discharge and he is now acting much more lively.

That seems rather like a respiratory issue. Do your ducks have acess to water deep enough for them to stick their head in? Respiratory issues often come with presentation in the eye because there is a sinus just under the eye. Maybe try a fresh water bath and adding some apple cider vinegar to her drinking water? I had to give my drake a bath in the house with a full bathtub of water. An hour of splashing and bubble blowing later his eyes stopped having discharge and he is now acting much more lively.
Did you put anything in the tub water? Or just warm water? I was leaning towards respiratory too bc of the very quiet hoarseness sounds she’s making.
And her best friend Mo, who she grew up, the two of them are inseparable so should I bring Mo in for a warm bath too or leave mo with the rest of the flock bc I don’t want whatever little strudel has to spread. Thoughts? Thank you so much for replying!

Last edited:
If she’s been with the flock anyway no reason to separate. Is a vet an option? Respiratory infections don’t just go away they need antibiotics if that is what’s wrong. If it’s cold where you are and you bring your duck in for a warm bath then take her back outside you risk her chilling. If your going to bring her inside best keep her inside.

If she’s been with the flock anyway no reason to separate. Is a vet an option? Respiratory infections don’t just go away they need antibiotics if that is what’s wrong. If it’s cold where you are and you bring your duck in for a warm bath then take her back outside you risk her chilling. If your going to bring her inside best keep her inside.
Thank you so much for responding. Unfortunately vet is not an option where we live. They have clean water to play in and swim and another smaller tub they can swim and play in too. If it is a respiratory thing will it spread to the other birds? And thank you for steering me away from a warm bath bc I didn’t even think about her transitioning back outside, and it’s realllly cold here right now. So best recommendation and course of action I should take would be what in your opinion. Thank You, Thank You, THANK YOU!!

I gave my drake a cool bath so I didn't bring his body temp up to high. After he was clean, I let him shake dry and preen without water for about 45 min, then towel dried his feet/face and malde sure he wasn't wet before I returned him to the coop. As far as antibiotics I have no idea. In the past when my chickens got a round of the sniffles I have them vitamins from our local feed store and added apple cider vinegar with cranberry to the drinking water. I was super lucky abd this was enough to kick it out of their systems but I do recognize that sometimes more medical approaches are nessesary. I hope you all the luck in the world so that adorable duck can make a comeback.

I gave my drake a cool bath so I didn't bring his body temp up to high. After he was clean, I let him shake dry and preen without water for about 45 min, then towel dried his feet/face and malde sure he wasn't wet before I returned him to the coop. As far as antibiotics I have no idea. In the past when my chickens got a round of the sniffles I have them vitamins from our local feed store and added apple cider vinegar with cranberry to the drinking water. I was super lucky abd this was enough to kick it out of their systems but I do recognize that sometimes more medical approaches are nessesary. I hope you all the luck in the world so that adorable duck can make a comeback.
Thanks for the tips! I’ll definitely be adding Apple cider vinegar to their water. Bc it is only about mid 50’s here during the day should I let her bathe and get warm then dry her all off and keep her inside for a night or just add the apple cider vinegar to their water and just keep an eye on her? They get clean water to bathe in every morning. I wouldn’t have been so concerned but her little voice is so quiet and hoarse sounding that I knew something was up immediately this morning.

If you feel she’s sick then she should be inside kept warm and watched to make sure she’s eating and drinking.
Well she’s acting fine, gobbling up treats and greens and food and still swimming and drinking. I was just concerned about her preferring to keep her L eye closed and that hoarse little sound is what alerted me to “somethings gotta be up”. I really don’t want to have to bring her inside bc I’m afraid that would be a big stressor on her being apart from her flock. So I guess I’m just trying to gauge what is the most helpful way of treating my little gal with as little of stress on her as possible. I have vetRx and vitamin B complex I read you guys had recommended in the past. Would either of those be helpful for her?

Back
Top Bottom