Help! My cat is peeing everywhere!

My cat, Diana, has a heat condition and has to go on diuretics (to get rid of fluid in her lungs). We tried 2 diuretics withought luck and on the third time it worked! But the only problem is that she is peeing outside her litterbox. It is starting to happen at least once a day. She is peeing just outside of her litterbox, as if she is missing the litterbox. I don't know what to do. I have tried placing a mat underneath the litterbox but the pee seeps below it. She is starting to damage the wood floors. Can anyone suggest something? At response to this problem will be appreciated.

Wishes,
Diana

Unfortunately no. She will be on this medicine for the rest of her life and we need to find a solution. She has done it twice today already and will probably do it a third time. She cannot go in and out of the garage withought us opening a door so we must have the litter box inside.

I am not sure if this will help. However, check to see of the recent medication has hormones in it. If that is the case, although it is working for your cat, it might be causing bladder control problems. If that is the case maybe your cat is missing the box because she can't make it into the box without her bladder letting go along the way. My dog had this problem and was put on a med. called Incurin. It solved the leaking problem. Perhaps not the case for you but I thought I would share the info. Best of luck.

Diuretics can definitely cause this sort of issue, but it is always a good idea to rule out any other sort of issues like infections or endocrine disorders.

One thing I would try is increasing the size of the litter box and perhaps even lowering the sides of the litter box.

The sides are pretty low and I will check for hormones. I do not think she has any other diseases as this has never happened until we put her on diuretics. If it is hormones I would like not to put her on another med because she already has to take two-three pills twice a day and she finds it very stressful. I will tell you more if she pees at night.

Wishes,
Diana

Diuretics can definitely cause this sort of issue, but it is always a good idea to rule out any other sort of issues like infections or endocrine disorders.

One thing I would try is increasing the size of the litter box and perhaps even lowering the sides of the litter box.

x2 Also, perhaps confining her to a smaller area, a small room perhaps a laundry room or bathroom or even a Tokeyo cage with more than one litter box to give the cat a chance to adjust to the medication and being able to reach the litter box in time.

Sometimes cats won't go directly in the litter box because they perceive it as dirty, even if they've only gone in it one other time. Maybe clean it out every few hours. Get scoopable litter so it's less wasteful for you.

My cat, Diana, has a heat condition and has to go on diuretics (to get rid of fluid in her lungs). We tried 2 diuretics withought luck and on the third time it worked! But the only problem is that she is peeing outside her litterbox. It is starting to happen at least once a day. She is peeing just outside of her litterbox, as if she is missing the litterbox. I don't know what to do. I have tried placing a mat underneath the litterbox but the pee seeps below it. She is starting to damage the wood floors. Can anyone suggest something? At response to this problem will be appreciated.

Wishes,
Diana

You have already received some suggestions that can help.

Sounds like she has heart failure which is a serious problem. She may not be able to make it to the box with the diuretic effects.

But I offer these additional suggestions:

1-Make sure the box is easy for her to enter, that it is large enough for her to be able to turn around inside the box. Place it closely to where she spends her time.
2-Consider multiple location boxes if she "hangs out" in different rooms.
3-Evaluate the type of litter you use - and whether you have made a change in they type of litter lately. Select one without a fragrance.
4 - use a water impermeable matt under and around the box.

Hope you get the problem worked out.

Back
Top Bottom