Help my chick is almost dry and not out of the shell

Relynn

Songster
Apr 29, 2017
my chick stopped zipping or the shell was too hard for her to zip it all the way. The membrane is now yellow and kind of dry, she started zipping 24 hours ago, and kept trying to kick out. Now it feels like the shell is stuck to her! What do I do?! I finished the zip for her and put her back in with a hot wet paper towel hope to offer more humidity. Please help, she has been trying to kick off the shell since yesterday afternoon. I think she is tired, but I left her alone like everyone says to do. Ugh

Is the chick still breathing and chirping and is now partially out of the shell but the shell is stuck to her? I am assuming that she has completely absorbed the yolk and blood supply as the membrane is now dry, correct? If so, I think you can moisten the membrane where it is stuck to her with warm water and gently, very gently pull it away from her. You can also use coconut oil or vegetable on the membrane to moisturize it.

Yes she is breathing and chirping and when I pick her up she tried to get out, but her feathers are stuck to the membrane... she was trying to kick out yesterday but the shell was really thick... this morning I ensured the zip was completely open, but the membrane in those areas was not open.

Yes she is breathing and chirping and when I pick her up she tried to get out, but her feathers are stuck to the membrane... she was trying to kick out yesterday but the shell was really thick... this morning I ensured the zip was completely open, but the membrane in those areas was not open.
Well, is she out? Please let us know how it all is going/went, successfully I hope. :fl

84633285-EC74-43F3-8021-6D660716F446.jpeg
1CE1ACC0-7CD8-405C-95BD-BAE35B2982CD.jpeg
29AED949-55DC-4535-97CE-4310B909B9F3.jpeg
Well, is she out? Please let us know how it all is going/went, successfully I hope. :fl
So, I helped her out, I had a hot wet paper towel under the egg, and then I used tweezers to break of small pieces of egg at a time so I could see the membrane. The membrane was yellow with no veins, so put coconut oil on it until it became soft enough for me to help her out, she was helping, but the membrane was stuck to her wing, and her other wing was stuck to her head, and a little coconut oil helped that. Now she is kind of rolling around the incubator, I removed the other one because she was biting her...

View attachment 1300290 View attachment 1300291 View attachment 1300292
So, I helped her out, I had a hot wet paper towel under the egg, and then I used tweezers to break of small pieces of egg at a time so I could see the membrane. The membrane was yellow with no veins, so put coconut oil on it until it became soft enough for me to help her out, she was helping, but the membrane was stuck to her wing, and her other wing was stuck to her head, and a little coconut oil helped that. Now she is kind of rolling around the incubator, I removed the other one because she was biting her...

Her egg yolk was gone and her embylical cord was unhooked... how long will she flop around?

If she is still having difficulties standing in a little while, try taking a small cup, lining it with paper towel and putting her in it. This sometimes forces the chick into standing up on its feet and the sides of the cup support the chick. She should get her feet under her pretty soon but if not, try the cup method, it has worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom