Help! My chicken has a neurological problem!

Chiccenlover

Chirping
Jul 26, 2022
Hello! I think I have a chicken with a neurological problem. Her name is Raptor, and she has a crooked neck, she is rolling around, and it looks like she cannot control her body. I have had a chicken like this before, and she did not make it.
I have been giving her vitamins for rye neck, but it is not helping. I am pretty sure she has a neurological problem. Is there anything I can do to help her?

Thank you in advance

Hello! I think I have a chicken with a neurological problem. Her name is Raptor, and she has a crooked neck, she is rolling around, and it looks like she cannot control her body. I have had a chicken like this before, and she did not make it.
I have been giving her vitamins for rye neck, but it is not helping. I am pretty sure she has a neurological problem. Is there anything I can do to help her?

Thank you in advance
What's the age.. how long has this been going on, and what vitamins did you use, include dosage and frequency? Are you in the US?

If not a newly hatched chick.. what is the feed routine including treats and supplements. Is there any chance of toxic.. plants, oil spills, rat poison, rotten compost, or other items of concern anywhere among their pasture/run?

What was the age of the other bird this happened to before? Were any vaccinated against Marek's?

Are you able to post a video.. usually using another platform like youtube, vimeo, etc then linking here.

Sorry I got more questions than answers.. it's the only way to assess the situation.

:fl

What's the age.. how long has this been going on, and what vitamins did you use, include dosage and frequency? Are you in the US?

If not a newly hatched chick.. what is the feed routine including treats and supplements. Is there any chance of toxic.. plants, oil spills, rat poison, rotten compost, or other items of concern anywhere among their pasture/run?

What was the age of the other bird this happened to before? Were any vaccinated against Marek's?

Are you able to post a video.. usually using another platform like youtube, vimeo, etc then linking here.

Sorry I got more questions than answers.. it's the only way to assess the situation.

:fl
Hello,

It seems like we have a hen doing the same thing, so I wanted to jump on for help...

We have an 18 month old Australorp exhibiting similar behavior. It started around the 30th- we noticed she was only opening her left eye halfway and seemed to be having trouble seeing. We thought her eye was irritated and flushed with saline regularly.

This morning she was clearly not okay, she was laying in the run alone with both eyes closed and her neck bent down. We brought her inside to separate from the flock. This evening, both eyes are closed mostly, feet are curling in and she appears to have extreme vertigo. Almost looks like something from the exorcist... She has a lot of fight in her when we try to pick her up and is attempting to preen but not doing a good job. No signs of injury.

Nothing toxic available to the birds that we know of, no other chickens exhibiting signs of illness, currently no vitamins for the outside girls.

Appreciate any help that can be had...

Attachments

• 20230705_175811.jpg
    20230705_175811.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 7
We have an 18 month old Australorp
This morning she was clearly not okay, she was laying in the run alone with both eyes closed and her neck bent down. We brought her inside to separate from the flock. This evening, both eyes are closed mostly, feet are curling in and she appears to have extreme vertigo.
Are you in the US? Was she vaccinated against Marek's? What is her standard feed routine including treats and supplements? How hot has it been where you are?

What does her crop feel like.. flat, swollen and squishy like a water balloon, or a hard knot inside? Is there any smell coming from her beak?

How are you feeding her now.. when was the last food she had? What's her droppings look like? (okay now I see she just got THIS bad this morning)

Highest possibilities currently in my mind without more information.. severe dehydration/electrolyte imbalance, malnutrition, blocked/sour or other crop condition (possibly causing the fore mentioned conditions), ultimately possibly Marek's which can present in a whole host of ways including only individual birds and with visual changes..

Other considerations.. internal egg issues.. excess internal parasite load.

The eyes closing.. is most likely a symptom of lethargy. However, you did mention it as your first clue.. are you able to tell if she can still see or if the vision seems to be changing, was she still pecking at food before being this bent over? Try to get a look at the pupil shape and iris color.

There may be a few more things that can present this way.. try to start answering some of my questions and I'll tag another knowledgeable poster who might have more or different helpful ideas/questions than mine. TIA @azygous

Depending on feed routine (possibly even storage conditions).. supplementation *may* be helpful.. These sort of symptoms *can* be caused by E and thiamine deficiency..

https://blog.meyerhatchery.com/2017/08/wry-neck-in-chickens/

Be aware.. once it's gotten this far.. it usually takes many days to weeks to see improvement IF supplementation does help, and may require some physical therapy to ever return to somewhat normal. There will not likely be an immediate full recovery, unfortunately. If you're unable to support her through this.. then culling/euthanasia may be an option.

I'm not sure if necropsy (including microscopic tissue slides) will show cause, but it may and may also be useful to managing the remaining flock.. in which case if that time comes, refrigerate her body, and some contact information for the state labs is in the following link, free or affordable to backyard keepers in many states..

https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Still, I hope she recovers quickly! :fl

Are you in the US? Was she vaccinated against Marek's? What is her standard feed routine including treats and supplements? How hot has it been where you are?

What does her crop feel like.. flat, swollen and squishy like a water balloon, or a hard knot inside? Is there any smell coming from her beak?

How are you feeding her now.. when was the last food she had? What's her droppings look like? (okay now I see she just got THIS bad this morning)

Highest possibilities currently in my mind without more information.. severe dehydration/electrolyte imbalance, malnutrition, blocked/sour or other crop condition (possibly causing the fore mentioned conditions), ultimately possibly Marek's which can present in a whole host of ways including only individual birds and with visual changes..

Other considerations.. internal egg issues.. excess internal parasite load.

The eyes closing.. is most likely a symptom of lethargy. However, you did mention it as your first clue.. are you able to tell if she can still see or if the vision seems to be changing, was she still pecking at food before being this bent over? Try to get a look at the pupil shape and iris color.

There may be a few more things that can present this way.. try to start answering some of my questions and I'll tag another knowledgeable poster who might have more or different helpful ideas/questions than mine. TIA @azygous

Depending on feed routine (possibly even storage conditions).. supplementation *may* be helpful.. These sort of symptoms *can* be caused by E and thiamine deficiency..

https://blog.meyerhatchery.com/2017/08/wry-neck-in-chickens/

Be aware.. once it's gotten this far.. it usually takes many days to weeks to see improvement IF supplementation does help, and may require some physical therapy to ever return to somewhat normal. There will not likely be an immediate full recovery, unfortunately. If you're unable to support her through this.. then culling/euthanasia may be an option.

I'm not sure if necropsy (including microscopic tissue slides) will show cause, but it may and may also be useful to managing the remaining flock.. in which case if that time comes, refrigerate her body, and some contact information for the state labs is in the following link, free or affordable to backyard keepers in many states..

https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Still, I hope she recovers quickly! :fl
Thank you so much for all the information! I'm going to try and answer all your questions as best I can.

Yes in the US, we are not sure if our chicks are vaccinated by the hatchery but will be calling today to ask. Our chickens free feed and also free range on our property. I'll send a picture of the feed tag when I can (please note, this is literally the ONLY feed available in our area). We live in a very cool climate, hasn't hit the 60s for awhile.

Crop is flat but not spongy. No sour smell from break (recently went through sour crop with another girl and shes healthy now! But we're now familiar with what that's like). Yesterday we had extreme difficulty getting her to eat. I've read a few posts on yogurt or oatmeal, so trying that today. No droppings that we've seen since she's been separated, but keeping an eye out.

Pupils look normal. She won't open the left eye much but she follows me and appears to focus on me with the right.

Completed full exam last night, no sign of a stuck egg, but I'm aware this could still be an issue.

At this point, we are hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. We're also keeping a very close eye on the rest of the flock for any new symptoms.

Completed a new post last night. Hope this link works, I haven't done this before.
New post

Started with vitamin b complex (third of a pill) and vitamin e 400iu asking with electrolyte water yesterday. Had to force the water with a plunger.

Thank you so incredibly much for the information!

Quick update: no improvements yet but continuing with forced vitamin water, 1/3 tablet b complex, 400 iu vitamin e full pill.

Confirmed she is vaccinated for Marek's.

I've read it can take weeks for improvement if we're successful, so not giving up!

Thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom