HELP, MY CHICKEN IS SICK what do I do?

Spicegirlfam

Chirping
Jun 9, 2020
California
My Wyandot named Sesame is realy sick. She is weak and fatigued, she will barely move, eat, or drink. Her poop is white and liquidy. I suspect she has Pollorum (A salmonella variant) due to her white diarriah.
This is the first day we noticed symptoms. Currently she is isolated in a cardboard box in my garage with food and water (which she refuses to touch) Please help identify the disease, and if it is Pollorum how to treat it. (Help with research would be great)

Thanks for you time even if you have no answers. Please hope and/or pray for her.

Her Poop:

Attachments

• tempImageIuD03c.png
    tempImageIuD03c.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 16
How old is she? Have you had experience with pullorum before? Have you had any die from this? Has she had any stool in her droppings lately? White urates in the droppings is uric acid or kidney waste. There looks like mucus in the dropping as well. Can you take some of her freshest droppings in to your vet for a fecal float test? How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, hard, doughy, or puffy sot? Can you try feeding some mushy wet chicken feed with a little scrambled egg or tuna to bribe her to eat? Water is most important. Try to get her drinking by holding a small cup up to her beak often. It would be impossible to diagnose what disease she has without a fecal float.

As much as it would help, we don't have lab testing equipment in our eyeballs. The white milky poop merely tells our eyes that the hen is sick with some sort of bacterial infection. To know which bacterium is responsible would require a gram stain test on a poop sample in a lab.

This is what broad spectrum antibiotics are good for. When our eyes tell us a chicken is sick, we can grab one of these antibiotics such as amoxicillin and get the chicken started on it asap.

Do you have any antibiotic on hand? An old people prescription perhaps? If not, if you aren't in a western US state that prohibits it, you may be able to find fish mox (amoxicillin) in a pet store. You will need 250mg once a day for ten days. Or try ordering it here. https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/

I'm so sorry. My guess, since it's very common, is a Perfringens bacterium killed your hen. It's an especially fast developing bacterium and having a braod spectrum antibiotic on hand can save a chickens life by getting it into her at first sign of illness. Now you know what the symptoms are of serious bacterial infection. I strongly urge you to go ahead and order the amoxicillin to keep in your chicken first aid kit.

I've lost chickens myself to this bacterium. It often kills in less than 24 hours after onset of symptoms. Once I recognize the symptoms, I start the amoxy and haven't lost any more chickens to this.

We are very concerned about one of our girls. Almost 8 year old Orpington, Olive. She won't get up and looks, for lack of a better term, tired. She ate and drank a little this morning but is still sitting and wont get up. Never had this with one of our girls. Thank you for the advice of the fish mox. I will get some in the morning. She is our sweetest girl and hope we don't lose her.

We are very concerned about one of our girls. Almost 8 year old Orpington, Olive. She won't get up and looks, for lack of a better term, tired. She ate and drank a little this morning but is still sitting and wont get up. Never had this with one of our girls. Thank you for the advice of the fish mox. I will get some in the morning. She is our sweetest girl and hope we don't lose her.
Welcome to BYC. You may get more looks at your posts if you start a new thread, and give more details and post a picture or two. Here is where to post on the emergency forum:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/post-thread

Back
Top Bottom