angieee11

In the Brooder
Jan 7, 2021
Hi, I have a buff Orpington that's a bit more than 5 months old. She's usually a quiet and weak chicken that doesn't play around with the other chickens so much and sleeps very often. She always has her feathers puffed up. The temperature where I live ranges from about 50 - 75 degrees Fahrenheit. I bought her when she was about a week old and I have been feeding her layer feed ever since she was 1 week old then switched to medicated chick feed about 2 months ago then recently switched back to layer feed (I still individually feed her some chick feed so her diet is about 1/2 chick feed and 1/2 layer feed). She is an especially light chicken compared to her friends and she has a very small and pale comb that never seems to grow. (she hasn't laid eggs yet) Recently, her balance has been getting worse, and sometimes couldn't standstill. Today, when I went down to see her, she was still in the sleeping area while her friends were all outside. Her neck looks twisted and she's the weakest I've seen her ever since I've got her. She has been drinking and eating but less. She barely moves and stays in one area for hours. I have noticed she has been recently been pooping some very watery diarrhea.
IMG_20210401_154508.jpg
IMG_20210401_154500.jpg
IMG_20210401_144609.jpg

Let us know how it goes. Might consider worming them too, but I doubt that would be a major issue at 5 months unless they are in a place with a history of chickens and they could have picked up worm eggs.

Let us know how it goes. Might consider worming them too, but I doubt that would be a major issue at 5 months unless they are in a place with a history of chickens and they could have picked up worm eggs.
Okay. Today, her head is still tilted to the side like yesterday but she's a bit more weak today. She is able to walk a few steps but her balance is very bad. Today, she didn't eat or drink much probably since she was too weak to do so. Her vision also seems a bit off since she would often miss when trying to peck food. I fed her a bit of oatmeal today and nothing else since she was too weak to eat. Do you have any suggestions on what I should feed her and what I should do?

Okay. Today, her head is still tilted to the side like yesterday but she's a bit more weak today. She is able to walk a few steps but her balance is very bad. Today, she didn't eat or drink much probably since she was too weak to do so. Her vision also seems a bit off since she would often miss when trying to peck food. I fed her a bit of oatmeal today and nothing else since she was too weak to eat. Do you have any suggestions on what I should feed her and what I should do?
No. Water in a syringe with some Nutridrench if you have it. Probably some cooked egg if you can get her to eat. Have you added corid and/or vitamin E yet? @NanaKat , @casportpony any ideas? I haven't had many sick chickens over the years.

Last edited:
No. Water in a syringe with some Nutridrench if you have it. Probably some cooked egg if you can get her to eat. Have you added for it and/or vitamin E yet? @NanaKat , @casportpony any ideas? I haven't had many sick chickens over the years.
Okay thanks! I'll try giving her some cooked scrambled eggs. I don't know where to get the Vitamin E though..

Back
Top Bottom