Help my chicken was attacked (photos attached)

I understand the worry about rinsing. Take a syringe, and squirt, saline, iodine, or warm soapy water at the wound sideways, to avoid shooting water strait down in the puncture. Once it is rinsed out, Clip the feathers away form the wound to keep it clean, cover the wound with Neosporin, or antibacterial ointment, to keep the wound moist. Can you take pictures of the wound after you cut feathers away? She will lily need antibiotics, to fight this. @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @Overo Mare @azygous any ideas? @casportpony is good with antibiotics. I am crossing my fingers for you!

Not wanting to sound heartless or mean but they were free chickens and I don’t for see my husband going along with the idea of spending money at a vet for a chicken that we got for free that has maybe laid a half a dozen eggs since we’ve gotten her
That makes sense, you should ask at least, if its not an option, then the best thing you can do for her is possibly to cull, there are worse things then death

I am very sorry about your chicken being attacked. Chickens can be very tough.
First of all, Immediately bring her inside and clean up the wound with plain soap and tepid water, Normal saline or a diluted Iodine wash. If you have any of these please do it now. Then cut awy all the feathers possible and take more pictures of her wound. While waiting for a response, mix up some scrambled egg and give her a drink of electrolytes. I'll be standing by.

Not wanting to sound heartless or mean but they were free chickens and I don’t for see my husband going along with the idea of spending money at a vet for a chicken that we got for free that has maybe laid a half a dozen eggs since we’ve gotten her

You don't sound heartless or mean. Plenty of people don't go to the vet for chickens. I think that cleaning the wound should be first order of business-use a damp paper towel (only slightly damp! it should be damp enough to be soft but DEFINITELY not dripping) to try to gently clean some of the blood. If she isn't inside already, BRING HER IN. Offer her some wet chicken food and water with a bit of electrolytes or gatorade in it, if you have any.

Back
Top Bottom