Help my chicken was attacked (photos attached)

Pics

MSeubert

In the Brooder
Oct 15, 2020
we recently got chickens and when we got home last night one was missing. A hawk had tried to attack one of them the other day so I thought that the missing hen was killed because She never ended up coming back and wasn’t around this morning either. I opted to leave the other chickens locked up today because I didn’t want to lose another, but I just came home from work now today she was sitting outside the coop waiting for me. She appears to have a really deep wound in her back that to me almost looks like a bone has been broken and if I put my hand over the area every time she l exhales I can feel warm air coming out and actually hear a puff of air. If anyone has a suggestion of what to do for her I’m all ears. She’s currently eating and drinking fine and the area isn’t bleeding.

Attachments

• 12318EB1-71DC-4A22-9999-F68410340032.png
    12318EB1-71DC-4A22-9999-F68410340032.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 31
  • BB66ADCA-ED4D-4E53-8352-14E2A046ACBD.png
    BB66ADCA-ED4D-4E53-8352-14E2A046ACBD.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 24
Can you post a photo of the complete body, especially the eyes and comb? This is necessary to assess the overall physical state. It can let us know how seriously the wound is affecting her. Eyes and stance provide a lot of info.

If the chicken is alert and not struggling to breathe, comb is normal red color, breath sounds normal and not rails (crackling), then you might expect her to recover from these wounds with good care, cleanliness and keeping the wound moist.

Lungs on a chicken do only part of the work of providing oxygen to the tissues. A system of air sacs do the rest of the job of conveying oxygen. A small puncture in a lung may not be the critical issue that it is when a human has a sucking lung injury.

If there are puffs of air that come out when she breathes, something may have happened to her lung. I think that sadly you may just have to cull. Is she eating or drinking? This is hard to do because of the lung thing. Can you try to clean it with a DAMP, NOT dripping paper towel or sponge? Slightly damp to clean up some of the blood, but NOT dripping. @ChickenCanoe @HeatherKellyB (I would tag more, but they have already been tagged)

There are puffs of air when she breaths
This indicates at least one broken bone.
Chickens have tiny lungs that are flush with the ribs and backbone. Their respiratory system is complex with air sacs and hollow bones carrying air to and from the lungs.
It is possible the broken hollow bone won't heal properly and her respiratory system won't allow her to breathe properly.

That is correct, so what are you suggesting she do? A vet is not an option for her.
I can't really suggest an approach without seeing the wound or observing her condition. I'd get some antibiotic ointment into the wound, keep her quiet and warm. She may not have an interest in food but keep water nearby.
Humane euthanasia may be the best course of action.

She reported it is on her back
" She appears to have a really deep wound in her back that to me almost looks like a bone has been broken and if I put my hand over the area every time she l exhales I can feel warm air coming out and actually hear a puff of air."
I saw that, but the pictures looked more like it was on the side of the bird, so I and wondering if the air is leaking from one of the air sacs and not the lungs.
;

I understand the worry about rinsing. Take a syringe, and squirt, saline, iodine, or warm soapy water at the wound sideways, to avoid shooting water strait down in the puncture. Once it is rinsed out, Clip the feathers away form the wound to keep it clean, cover the wound with Neosporin, or antibacterial ointment, to keep the wound moist. Can you take pictures of the wound after you cut feathers away? She will lily need antibiotics, to fight this. @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @Overo Mare @azygous any ideas? @casportpony is good with antibiotics. I am crossing my fingers for you!
I am worried that the wound opens into the lung (puffs of air coming out with breathing) so I would worry about squirting water as water+lung=bad.

Back
Top Bottom