Help my chicken was attacked (photos attached)

There are puffs of air when she breaths
This indicates at least one broken bone.
Chickens have tiny lungs that are flush with the ribs and backbone. Their respiratory system is complex with air sacs and hollow bones carrying air to and from the lungs.
It is possible the broken hollow bone won't heal properly and her respiratory system won't allow her to breathe properly.

This indicates at least one broken bone.
Chickens have tiny lungs that are flush with the ribs and backbone. Their respiratory system is complex with air sacs and hollow bones carrying air from the lungs.
It is possible the broken hollow bone won't heal properly and her respiratory system won't allow her to breathe properly.
That is correct, so what are you suggesting she do? A vet is not an option for her.

Can you post a photo of the complete body, especially the eyes and comb? This is necessary to assess the overall physical state. It can let us know how seriously the wound is affecting her. Eyes and stance provide a lot of info.

If the chicken is alert and not struggling to breathe, comb is normal red color, breath sounds normal and not rails (crackling), then you might expect her to recover from these wounds with good care, cleanliness and keeping the wound moist.

Lungs on a chicken do only part of the work of providing oxygen to the tissues. A system of air sacs do the rest of the job of conveying oxygen. A small puncture in a lung may not be the critical issue that it is when a human has a sucking lung injury.

Can you post a photo of the complete body, especially the eyes and comb? This is necessary to assess the overall physical state. It can let us know how seriously the wound is affecting her. Eyes and stance provide a lot of info.

If the chicken is alert and not struggling to breathe, comb is normal red color, breath sounds normal and not rails (crackling), then you might expect her to recover from these wounds with good care, cleanliness and keeping the wound moist.

Lungs on a chicken do only part of the work of providing oxygen to the tissues. A system of air sacs do the rest of the job of conveying oxygen. A small puncture in a lung may not be the critical issue that it is when a human has a sucking lung injury.
Good, I think that is a good report! Ya, the experts are here!

That is correct, so what are you suggesting she do? A vet is not an option for her.
I can't really suggest an approach without seeing the wound or observing her condition. I'd get some antibiotic ointment into the wound, keep her quiet and warm. She may not have an interest in food but keep water nearby.
Humane euthanasia may be the best course of action.

She reported it is on her back
" She appears to have a really deep wound in her back that to me almost looks like a bone has been broken and if I put my hand over the area every time she l exhales I can feel warm air coming out and actually hear a puff of air."
I saw that, but the pictures looked more like it was on the side of the bird, so I and wondering if the air is leaking from one of the air sacs and not the lungs.
;

Back
Top Bottom