Help my chicken was attacked (photos attached)

Not wanting to sound heartless or mean but they were free chickens and I don’t for see my husband going along with the idea of spending money at a vet for a chicken that we got for free that has maybe laid a half a dozen eggs since we’ve gotten her

Not wanting to sound heartless or mean but they were free chickens and I don’t for see my husband going along with the idea of spending money at a vet for a chicken that we got for free that has maybe laid a half a dozen eggs since we’ve gotten her
You don't sound heartless or mean. Plenty of people don't go to the vet for chickens. I think that cleaning the wound should be first order of business-use a damp paper towel (only slightly damp! it should be damp enough to be soft but DEFINITELY not dripping) to try to gently clean some of the blood. If she isn't inside already, BRING HER IN. Offer her some wet chicken food and water with a bit of electrolytes or gatorade in it, if you have any.

That makes sense, you should ask at least, if its not an option, then the best thing you can do for her is possibly to cull, there are worse things then death

That's ok, I fully understand. Just keep her inside in a warm dark place. If you have any Triple antibiotics with out pain reliever in it. literally squirt the entire tube into her body cavity. Sometimes this will seal off the puncture. In the human field, we use Vaseline to seal it off. But, I think the Triple antibiotic will work. Keep her in a dark, warm place and hold your girl. Hopefully one of the Experts that were summons will join in.

You don't sound heartless or mean. Plenty of people don't go to the vet for chickens. I think that cleaning the wound should be first order of business-use a damp paper towel (only slightly damp! it should be damp enough to be soft but DEFINITELY not dripping) to try to gently clean some of the blood. If she isn't inside already, BRING HER IN. Offer her some wet chicken food and water with a bit of electrolytes or gatorade in it, if you have any.
Do this for now, and don't wrap or cover the wound, but after dabbing with a paper towel, cover the wound, or edges of the wound in Neosporin, or antibacterial ointment. You can give her Asprin for pain. This link explains the dosage- https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/aspirin-dosing.1198396/

Back
Top Bottom