Help! My dog killed a chicken

AddyF95

Hatching
Feb 21, 2020
I have a question. A couple of our neighbors have chickens. These chickens roam the neighbor hood and are always in our yard and other yards. I’ve never minded them, I love chickens and they keep our grass healthy!

My dog is very rarely outside alone and she has never even bothered the chickens or looked twice, My fiancé hates the chickens and would even try and tell my dog to chase them out of the yard and she never would, she could not have cared less about them.

But today there was a dead one in my yard and another neighbor let me know she saw my dog chasing it in our yard. Sure enough I don’t doubt she did it, she was the only dog in our yard. My dog is border collie and has never killed livestock in her life only herded it.

I’m now afraid I can’t leave my dog out in our own yard because I’m afraid of her killing another one now or now that she’s killed one getting into their yard. They have terrible fencing along the back and don’t seem to really care. I’ve tried to go tell them but they won’t answer the door.. my question is basically what do I do? The chicken was in our yard

There’s really nothing you can do. I wouldn’t fault the dog for being a dog, especially in her own yard. It’s unfortunate the chicken died but it wasn’t your responsibility to keep it safe. It’s possible your dog may chase them more now or she may never kill one again. I would suggest asking your neighbors politely to keep their chickens safe and out of your yard. I highly doubt any legal action could be taken if it happened on your property if you were even worried about that. Just a sad incident, but these things happen

I have a question. A couple of our neighbors have chickens. These chickens roam the neighbor hood and are always in our yard and other yards. I’ve never minded them, I love chickens and they keep our grass healthy!

My dog is very rarely outside alone and she has never even bothered the chickens or looked twice, My fiancé hates the chickens and would even try and tell my dog to chase them out of the yard and she never would, she could not have cared less about them.

But today there was a dead one in my yard and another neighbor let me know she saw my dog chasing it in our yard. Sure enough I don’t doubt she did it, she was the only dog in our yard. My dog is border collie and has never killed livestock in her life only herded it.

I’m now afraid I can’t leave my dog out in our own yard because I’m afraid of her killing another one now or now that she’s killed one getting into their yard. They have terrible fencing along the back and don’t seem to really care. I’ve tried to go tell them but they won’t answer the door.. my question is basically what do I do? The chicken was in our yard
It is the chicken owners reposibility to control their flock. Dispose of the chicken, you and your dog live as you did before.

There’s really nothing you can do. I wouldn’t fault the dog for being a dog, especially in her own yard. It’s unfortunate the chicken died but it wasn’t your responsibility to keep it safe. It’s possible your dog may chase them more now or she may never kill one again. I would suggest asking your neighbors politely to keep their chickens safe and out of your yard. I highly doubt any legal action could be taken if it happened on your property if you were even worried about that. Just a sad incident, but these things happen
Thank you, it really is! I really didn’t mind the chickens in our yard at all, I know our neighbors hate them but I didn’t mind. Just a bummer 😕

Thank you, it really is! I really didn’t mind the chickens in our yard at all, I know our neighbors hate them but I didn’t mind. Just a bummer 😕
I’m the same way and wouldn’t mind them roaming but it’s just a matter of time before some of them get picked off. Sorry you had to experience that.

Sorry for the chicken. It would be nice if dogs had no predator instincts.
Possibly the other chickens are wiser now and wont come in you're backyard again.

My chickens don’t go to the neighbors garden anymore since they have a dog. Some chickens know by instinct that dogs are dangerous and other have to learn they can’t trust a dog.

My dogs are fenced in at home, and my chickens are on my property almost always. If one of my birds visits the neighbor's, and is killed by their dog, it's my fault for having the bird over there.
Fencing!!!
We all work to keep our animals where they belong, on our own property. If some critter escapes and does harm, we pay up. If there's an unauthorized visitor, and that critter is damaged, it should have been at home.
Out here in the 'boonies', we just can't have cattle, horses, dogs, or whatever wandering everywhere at will. That includes poultry.
Mary

In my setting, I would keep the carcass and use it as a teaching tool. Express the do not mess with chicken command(s) every time dog messes with carcass. Carcass does not provide all the stimulus as a live chicken, but it is getting you there. Neighbor has responsibility of keeping birds on property, but care must be take to ensure your dog does not make a run across line to grab a bird.

Last edited:
It was still just so weird because when I went outside she was just walking by the dead bird not looking at it not sniffing it. And still just so unlike her, I will definitely keep an eye on her if they are ever in the yard again to see how she reacts. But again I don’t like having her out when we aren’t out and definitely not now! Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom