Help...my ducks are frozen in the middle of the pond under the dock!!

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

No boat and 30 feet out on ice....do you have 60ish foot of rope? You could probably run a heat lamp with extension cord out to melt the ice off so they can get out. Or if you could get a rope around the dock, hook it to a truck and pull it and the ducks out breaking the ice along the way. Then you could put the dock back out there after danger of freezing is over in the Spring.
hu.gif

Here's an idea for you. They used to use it when they had ice jams on the Mississippi River. Get some coal cinders and spread them heavily on the ice around the dock. The dark color absorbs heat from the sun and helps melt the ice. Anything dark in color would probably work. Maybe even some dark colored plastic bags.

well an update....they are still under the dock, but swimming freely in there...so they at least are not frozen in...we have some long tie downs for like trailers etc that are like 30 feet each or so. We tied one end to the end of the extension ladder and the two ends together. while I stood holding the end of the ladder on the dock, he walked the perimeter of the pond and we were able to get the tie down in between the ladder handles on the dock. as we were essentailly towing it by hand the tie broke...we traded places and I used a long net (on a 15 foot pole to hook the end of the tie) subsequently, I went in passed my knees through the ice as the tie broke loose from the ladder on the other end...wellies filling with water, I had to abort mission and cry like a baby as i dropped to the ground trying to haul off my wellies which were now vaccuum sealed to my legs. In bear grill fashion, i bare footedly stomped my tantrum yelling at the ducks for being so blastedly stupid to go out in the frozen pond instead of thier nice warm insulated house. I since have hobbled up to the house barefoot in the 19 degree weather for 200 yards and am updating my fellow duck lovers. I am ever so slowly finding myself wanting to erase my name from that list by the way. Sent the 14 year old down to help the DH with another go as I thaw out for what looks to be a few rounds of frozen over hell....I sure hope thos darn ducks know how much they are loved....

Back
Top Bottom