HELP! MY DUCKS HAVE LICE!!!! WHAT DO I DO?

I would go with a poultry specific treatment.

Ivermectin is one
https://boulder.extension.colostate...ites/7/2021/04/Poultry-External-Parasites.pdf

When my chickens had mites I used poultry dust. I put the dust down in a paper bag put the chicken down into the bag butt first head out then I closed the bag around the neck with my hand and shook the chicken in the bag until completely covered all but her head. My other hand holding the bag on the bottom too.
My ducks and geese did not have them, But I still emptied out my coops and get rid of all the bedding in trash bags. Then I used a permethrin spray and sprayed the coop from top to bottom. put back in all fresh bedding.

Did you see just one bug or alot?

Last edited:
Waterfowl seldom are affected by ectoparasites, so I would first confirm this is not simply and an environmental bug/s that happened to be crawling on the duck when you checked, or if it is a serious infestation, and what specifically.
If you cannot post pictures of the insects on the bird, I suggest googling poultry lice, and mites to confirm this is the case.
Permethrin is an effective treatment for all ectoparasites in poultry; it should be sprayed/dusted onto each bird in the flock, specifically the vent, neck, and under the wings. Housing should be cleaned, and also sprayed down with the permethrin.
This process is repeated in seven to ten days as eggs may not be killed through this process.
Permethrin should not be used around cats

I only saw one louse on my wood duck's neck and that's it. I sprayed them all with permithrin. and their houses. That is all I know of. I didn't see lice on the other two mallards.
couldn't find any anywhere else on my wood duck. might just of been one she picked up walking around or from a bird that flew in her enclosure.

I only saw one louse on my wood duck's neck and that's it. I sprayed them all with permithrin. and their houses. That is all I know of. I didn't see lice on the other two mallards.
couldn't find any anywhere else on my wood duck. might just of been one she picked up walking around or from a bird that flew in her enclosure.

Unlikely the bird has a lice infestation if you found one "louse" on the whole body, and none of the other birds are affected.

Back
Top Bottom