HELP! My goat gave birth! REALLY BAD NEWS Post#77 Need Answers

Wow, great story and great end so far. You seem to have done great. The goats look good. I am expecting babies any day now. It will be my first ones from my goats, I am very nervous!

what a scary/exciting/emotional day you had!..
ep.gif
...congrats on the new kids!...they are so cute and tiny!....
love.gif
......and i KNOW you are beat today!....
th.gif
......you did an awesome job...i'd have been a nutcase...best of luck to you and the babies!, Wendy

Quote:
I'd probably been more of a wreck knowing I was waiting for babies. Having these cute babies has got me thinking that maybe I need to cut back on my 130 chickens and get more goats. Just what my husband wants!

Quote:
I am pretty tired but thankfully the kids school starts 2 hours late because it snowed again last night. I'll charge up the batteries for my camera and get some better pictures later today. I feel like I'm addicted to goats now. I want to do it all over again. I'm the same way when I had my own kids. I get the biggest high. I can't sleep for 2 days.

Quote:
Sounds about right to me. She'll have colostrum for a couple days and then really start to make milk. Just keep an eye on her.

I have Boer goats and stall them to kid. I agree with the other person that said to put mom and the kids in a small stall (mine are 4'x6') with the kids for a few days. That way the kids and mom can bond. I usually keep them in a stall for at least 4 days. Just really depends on the individual mom and kids.

Make sure you give the mom plenty to eat. I give mine all the goat feed they will eat ( I keep their tray in the stall full) and clean water and lots of hay for the time she is in the stall. I also use Goat Nutri Drench on the mom's and on weak kids. It really seems to give them energy. It also seems to help the does start with milk production. Here is a link: http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=03e60cc0-0f86-419e-8fae-7e4a5464f48c .

I make incubators for my baby goats. I use a 30 gallon plastic drum. They are much safer than heat lamps. I stand the drum on it's end with the bungs up. Cut a 8" high x 12" wide hole in one side of the drum about 4" from the bottom. I screw a 2x6 to the top of the drum and drill a 1" hole through the 2x6 and the drum. I buy a temporary light socket http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?sitex=10026:22372:US&item=335751 and a cheap 2 wire 10' extension cord from Wal-Mart. I cut off the female end of the cord and run it through the hole and wire it to the light socket. Pull the socket up against the inside of the drum and use wire staples to attach the cord to the 2x6. I use a 45 watt flood light bulb.

I then put a little straw in the bottom of the drum. Plug it in and instant incubator. The 45 watt bulb provides plenty of heat, but doesn't use as much electricity as a heat lamp bulb. They also won't break like a heat lamp bulb will.

Right now I have 17 baby goats at home that were born between December 17th and today. I have 3 more does in stalls that are due to kid on the 6th or after. Of the 20 babies that i have had born 17 lived. 1 was stillborn. 1 wouldn't nurse (or bottle feed) and 1 died yesterday from joint ill (infection of the umbilical cord).

One other thing to do is dip the baby goats umbilical cords in iodine as soon as possible. I use an old film container. Fill it full. Place it over the cord and against the skin and tilt the baby and container back. The one I had die from joint ill was born out in the barn instead of in a stall on dry shavings. He ran a high fever 106* even after 2 LA200 shots and got too weak to nurse.
sad.png

Good luck with your goats. They are addicting. Another good website is: www.boergoats.com They have all kinds of information that pertains to all species of goats. Look under articles, you will find many days of reading.

Chris
www.hillboergoats.com

After reading your post something told me to got ck on my Annabelle, the one that is due any minute (I think). She showed no interest in food this monning which is NOT like her and for the past couple days her stools have been softer..For a week now she has been expressing a little bit of mucas from her vulva...Well I went out and found her in her pen (where they nevery really hang out in the daytime after open the gate for them to free range). She was pawing around in the dirt like she was making a nest and showing very nervous and uncomfortable behavior. She was breathing heavier sort of panting and kept squatting and heaving her bellie...I think she may be about to have babies soon! At least in the next day or so! Im so excited !

Quote:
Sounds about right to me. She'll have colostrum for a couple days and then really start to make milk. Just keep an eye on her.

I have Boer goats and stall them to kid. I agree with the other person that said to put mom and the kids in a small stall (mine are 4'x6') with the kids for a few days. That way the kids and mom can bond. I usually keep them in a stall for at least 4 days. Just really depends on the individual mom and kids.

Make sure you give the mom plenty to eat. I give mine all the goat feed they will eat ( I keep their tray in the stall full) and clean water and lots of hay for the time she is in the stall. I also use Goat Nutri Drench on the mom's and on weak kids. It really seems to give them energy. It also seems to help the does start with milk production. Here is a link: http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=03e60cc0-0f86-419e-8fae-7e4a5464f48c .

I make incubators for my baby goats. I use a 30 gallon plastic drum. They are much safer than heat lamps. I stand the drum on it's end with the bungs up. Cut a 8" high x 12" wide hole in one side of the drum about 4" from the bottom. I screw a 2x6 to the top of the drum and drill a 1" hole through the 2x6 and the drum. I buy a temporary light socket http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?sitex=10026:22372:US&item=335751 and a cheap 2 wire 10' extension cord from Wal-Mart. I cut off the female end of the cord and run it through the hole and wire it to the light socket. Pull the socket up against the inside of the drum and use wire staples to attach the cord to the 2x6. I use a 45 watt flood light bulb.

I then put a little straw in the bottom of the drum. Plug it in and instant incubator. The 45 watt bulb provides plenty of heat, but doesn't use as much electricity as a heat lamp bulb. They also won't break like a heat lamp bulb will.

Right now I have 17 baby goats at home that were born between December 17th and today. I have 3 more does in stalls that are due to kid on the 6th or after. Of the 20 babies that i have had born 17 lived. 1 was stillborn. 1 wouldn't nurse (or bottle feed) and 1 died yesterday from joint ill (infection of the umbilical cord).

One other thing to do is dip the baby goats umbilical cords in iodine as soon as possible. I use an old film container. Fill it full. Place it over the cord and against the skin and tilt the baby and container back. The one I had die from joint ill was born out in the barn instead of in a stall on dry shavings. He ran a high fever 106* even after 2 LA200 shots and got too weak to nurse.
sad.png

Good luck with your goats. They are addicting. Another good website is: www.boergoats.com They have all kinds of information that pertains to all species of goats. Look under articles, you will find many days of reading.

Chris
www.hillboergoats.com

Okay, that's good to know about how long it takes the milk to come in. I had read somewhere else that said it took a day, but that's why I always ask. Better to be safe then sorry. I just didn't want them to starve. Right now mom and babies are in their own part of the goat shed, my wether can't get to them to bother them. It's about 4'x6'. That's an awesome idea for a goat incubator. If I a planned goat birth I would much rather go that route. My power bill just for my chicks this month is $150. I plan on raising the heat lamp just a little Mama goat has all the clean water and hay she needs. I just need to go to the store to get her some grain.

Quote:
The only thing that alerted me that Daisy might have been pregnant was that about a month ago she started dripping mucus. The problem with that is....that's what happens when they go into heat. So it was all a guessing game. I would feel for kicks on her right side and I was really feeling babies kicking but then she would burp so I would just tell myself that's what is was, was a burp. The only other thing was the day before she gave birth I saw about 10 drops of blood on the ground in the snow. I had just let the chickens out to free range with the goats so I though it was from one of the chickens. I had even checked Daisy's vulva which is something I was doing almost everyday and I didn't see any blood on her. I was checking her ligaments by her tail and I couldn't feel any difference. Of coarse the day before she had them I didn't check.

Isnt there suppose to be a temp drop right before birth? I dont have an picky thermometer anyway. Only the lazer kind you put to your temple..She is just laying down in the big "bed" she just scratched out. Not sleeping at all just looking alert and real uncomfortable.

You will have to milk the mama goat and get the first milk from her quick if they don't get the first milk they will not make it and call the vet asap he will tell you what to do

Back
Top Bottom