Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

@Pyxis can you pop over and offer some thoughts? If I read correctly you're feeding "Chick" Starter vice game bird starter. You my well have a vitamin deficiency going on. If you can get a hold of it, I'd give some nutridrench.

We have a contest going on right now just for new folks like you. In order to enter you'll need to copy the link from your first post in this thread and post it in the contest thread.

To copy your link address, right click on the link to your thread and click copy or copy link
2019-02-09_16-09-54.jpg
then click on the following URL
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...t-new-byc-members-win-a-byc-calendar.1287752/

Go down to where it says "write your reply..." tell us this is your entry and then click on the link button

2019-02-09_16-13-22.jpg

Paste your URL into the box and click "insert", then click "Post Reply".
2019-02-09_16-14-09.jpg

That's all there is to it. Once you've finished this, you're eligible to win a nice BYC Calendar.

Last edited:
Hi, and welcome to BYC! I'm very sorry to hear your gosling isn't doing well.

Chick starter isn't really made with waterfowl in mind, so it is definitely possible that it could be a vitamin deficiency. I would pick up the Nutri Drench and add it to their water. You may also be able to find something called Vitamin B Complex. I know Tractor Supply carries it, I don't know if Atwoods does. That can be given right to the little guy, a few drops a day right into his beak, being careful to let him swallow it on his own so he doesn't aspirate. You could do the same with the Nutri Drench, but the B Complex is more powerful.

Additionally, if you can find a Flock Raise or All Flock type food, I'd switch them to that. Or if you can find Naturewise Meat Bird, that is what I feed my ducklings and goslings and they do very well on it.

Can you also give us more info on their brooder? What temperature you are keeping it, what you are using for bedding, etc, just in case?

Also, just as a little note, the feed store told you the wrong names for the breeds :) The yellow one is probably a white Chinese. The other one, well, there's no such thing as an "African Chinese". He is probably either a brown Chinese, which is the same as the white Chinese, just a different color, or an African, which is an entirely different breed.

I also recommend getting some Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell and giving a couple of drops. Then offer water often up to the beak. Mix a little chick feed with water and offer that as well. It seems a little early for them to have coccidiosis, but Corid will treat it in the water. Dosage is 2 tsp of Corid liquid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. First though, try some Nutridrench which may perk them up. Until you cannget the PND, mix a tsp of sugar and a pinch of salt into a gallon of water and offer it. Look for any evidence of lice or mites on the skin or in the ears.

Back
Top Bottom