Help my guinea isn’t eating nor barley standing up

Katelin_smith18

Hatching
May 19, 2019
my guinea hasn’t ate in almost a week. He/she won’t stand up for long, it only takes a step and sits back down. He/she can’t sit up right always lean over. It’s still somewhat alert not as much or as usual how guineas supposed to be.

Welcome to BYC @Katelin_smith18 :frow

I'm sorry your post hasn't been answered yet. It's hard to tell what might be wrong with your guinea. Have you checked him out for any injuries? You can try to give him some of his favorite treats or scrambled eggs. All you can do is keep trying to get him to eat and drink. A veterinarian who deals with birds might have some ideas but that isn't an option for most people. I do hope he improves.:hmm

Welcome to BYC @Katelin_smith18 :frow

I'm sorry your post hasn't been answered yet. It's hard to tell what might be wrong with your guinea. Have you checked him out for any injuries? You can try to give him some of his favorite treats or scrambled eggs. All you can do is keep trying to get him to eat and drink. A veterinarian who deals with birds might have some ideas but that isn't an option for most people. I do hope he improves.:hmm
Okay thank you

my guinea hasn’t ate in almost a week. He/she won’t stand up for long, it only takes a step and sits back down. He/she can’t sit up right always lean over. It’s still somewhat alert not as much or as usual how guineas supposed to be.
One thing that has similar symptoms to what your guinea is displaying is due to a Calcium deficiency. Guinea hens that are laying can develop Calcium deficiency if they are not receiving adequate calcium in their diet. The Calcium deficiency can also be due to a vitamin D deficiency which would interfere with the proper absorption of Calcium.

The symptoms will get progressively worse with loss of motor functions making it so that the guinea hen cannot even stand up or walk.

Treatment is to isolate the hen and give her calcium supplements. One method is to add liquid Calcium to the water source as a quick boost. Oyster shell should be available free choice.

Do not give the Calcium fortified water to any males as it can be harmful to their kidneys.

One thing that has similar symptoms to what your guinea is displaying is due to a Calcium deficiency. Guinea hens that are laying can develop Calcium deficiency if they are not receiving adequate calcium in their diet. The Calcium deficiency can also be due to a vitamin D deficiency which would interfere with the proper absorption of Calcium.

The symptoms will get progressively worse with loss of motor functions making it so that the guinea hen cannot even stand up or walk.

Treatment is to isolate the hen and give her calcium supplements. One method is to add liquid Calcium to the water source as a quick boost. Oyster shell should be available free choice.

Do not give the Calcium fortified water to any males as it can be harmful to their kidneys.
I have the oyster shells could I possibly crush that up in regular water? I’m also giving it electrolytes for right now. And could you possibly tell me how I can define a female to male

I have the oyster shells could I possibly crush that up in regular water? I’m also giving it electrolytes for right now. And could you possibly tell me how I can define a female to male
If it is a Calcium deficiency, electrolytes will not help. If you happen to have some Calcium pills or tums (antacids), you could try dissolving them in water. Sorry, I do not know what concentration you should try for. The liquid Calcium is available at pet stores, Walgreens and online. It will come with recommended doses.

The real proof of whether a guinea is a hen or a cock is when she lays an egg. Hens will "buckwheat" calling for a mate and males will not. Hens will look straight at you while males will look at you sideways and take side steps as they are sizing you up.

Guinea cocks will lie down while their hen grazes in a circle around them. It is common for a male guinea to stand guard as his hen lays an egg in her hidden nest.

Males can have big cupped wattles while hens will have small wattles that are tight up against their heads. The wattle method is not a positive proof of sex as there are known cases of hens that have big cupped wattles and I personally have had males that had small tight wattles just like expected of a hen.

Can you tell if it’s a male or female?

Attachments

• 5B8F7353-1989-4BD6-AE64-9296E1531348.jpeg
    5B8F7353-1989-4BD6-AE64-9296E1531348.jpeg
    879.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 08F780E9-295B-445B-B182-8E3EBE02C50E.jpeg
    08F780E9-295B-445B-B182-8E3EBE02C50E.jpeg
    818.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 687BD585-8A8D-4333-B6B0-7C4736BF5044.jpeg
    687BD585-8A8D-4333-B6B0-7C4736BF5044.jpeg
    729.3 KB · Views: 10

Back