Help my I think my hen is eating her feathers

chickencoop97

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 11, 2014
Hey guys as I was collecting eggs on my coop tonight, I noticed that my hen has a featherless patch on her neck! I just bathed her last week i think so I'm canceling parasites as the source of problem. Any opinions?

Oh, and I feed her 100% layer pellets since she started laying eggs. Thanks for the replies :)

Hey guys as I was collecting eggs on my coop tonight, I noticed that my hen has a featherless patch on her neck! I just bathed her last week i think so I'm canceling parasites as the source of problem. Any opinions?
Sorry to hear you are having a problem with your hen. Even though you gave her a bath that will not rule out parasites such as mites and lice. Have you checked her really really good to make sure it isn't a mite/lice problem?

If you could post a picture of her it would help immensely for us to better help you out. It could very well be that one of your other hens are pecking at her and causing this problem.

Keep us updated!

Sorry to hear you are having a problem with your hen. Even though you gave her a bath that will not rule out parasites such as mites and lice. Have you checked her really really good to make sure it isn't a mite/lice problem? 

If you could post a picture of her it would help immensely for us to better help you out. It could very well be that one of your other hens are pecking at her and causing this problem. 

Keep us updated!

Thanks for the concern I'll post pics of her first thing tomorrow. :)

Thanks for the concern I'll post pics of her first thing tomorrow.
smile.png
Good, I'm subscribed to your thread and will watch for them!

Thanks mate.
smile.png
here are the pics I took just about 30 minutes ago:

Well, she's definitely not molting. Looks to me like she's being pecked and it's gotten "bloody" in that one area. The purplish color seems to me to be bruising. Is she low on the pecking order? How many other hens are in your flock? If, by observation, you can spot just who the 'bully' is THAT's the bird that needs segregating, not your poor hen who's been beat up.

Well, she's definitely not molting. Looks to me like she's being pecked and it's gotten "bloody" in that one area. The purplish color seems to me to be bruising. Is she low on the pecking order? How many other hens are in your flock? If, by observation, you can spot just who the 'bully' is THAT's the bird that needs segregating, not your poor hen who's been beat up.

Oh and btw, she's all alone in a cage when this incident happened. :)

Back
Top Bottom