Help my neighbor said my chickens are being loud :(

M
Hi you all, I have had my 6 hens for about 8 months. I got a call tonight from my neighbor (who up to till the last few months hasn’t minded them) her house is about 70 ft from my coop. The issue is the “egg song”. I have one hen that has a pretty awful egg song, and she is a loud mouth. When she starts to go, they all start to holler.

I can have chickens as long as they aren’t a “nuisance”. So now my anxiety is ramping up! How do I get them to quiet down? Is there a way I can get them to lay at a better time they would be shut in the coop? Idk they have weird egg laying schedules. Sometimes in the AM some times at noon today at 4:00/5 at night when everyone is home trying to enjoy dinner 🙄
Make chicken soup of her

May I ask what city you live in? I would love to see photos of your set up
That’s a fantastic idea, we do have a garage. Will have to mention it to my hubby, he is the king of the garage 😂.
MIgardengal, I live in Sault Sainte Marie. Here are some photos. I am looking into making a large garden area in the girls' fenced yard this spring/summer. the coop is very small and they only use it to sleep and nest in, so I want them to have a nice large area outside to range in. The first two images are the coop inside the garage. there is a small door that I manually clos at night that leads into a covered/protected 8x6 run, then they have a large fenced yard to forage.

Attachments

• IMG_0257.JPG
    IMG_0257.JPG
    598.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0258.JPG
    IMG_0258.JPG
    560.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0259.JPG
    IMG_0259.JPG
    641 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0260.JPG
    IMG_0260.JPG
    710.6 KB · Views: 19
Thanks guys, yes we do have a noise ordinance, I live on the edge of a small rural city.

We are allowed 6 hens no roosters and they can’t be a “nuisance” (free ranging/or making lots of racket etc). The neighbor doesn’t mind when they cluck. But she hears one of them start screaming (egg song 🙄) and then the others join. I’m hoping to plant some more shrubs as a sound barrier, and maybe put up some wind chimes or something to drown them out.
I would definitely look at the specific verbiage of the rule as far as the term 'nuisance' because, as @CluckerFamily said, a barking dog is more of a nuisance than an egg song, even if she lays daily.

May I ask what city you live in? I would love to see photos of your set up.

That’s a fantastic idea, we do have a garage. Will have to mention it to my hubby, he is the king of the garage 😂.
I also found a book "Free-Range Chicken Gardens" by Jessi Bloom that list a lot of good plants and shrubs that will dampen the sound from your girls excitement 😉

I’m sorry this is happening, and I hate neighbors who complain. I knew someone in a townhome area that was only allowed 2 pets. She didn’t listen to the rule and had 4. When a new neighbor moved in, she was caught. The lady came over one day and said “I see you have 4 pets.” And the other woman said “well which one do you want me to get rid of” 🤣

I would definitely look at the specific verbiage of the rule as far as the term 'nuisance' because, as @CluckerFamily said, a barking dog is more of a nuisance than an egg song, even if she lays daily.
If this woman has a dog, just complain right back to her. Maybe she’ll get some sense and shut up. The egg song isn’t gonna kill her. She should turn the TV on or something.

Back
Top Bottom