Help! My quails are attacking each other!

I already asked this but can someone please clarify me on how many times a year a quail lays eggs? Like if they are laying now in September will they lay next year in like February or June? Or is it like every month? Every two months?
The reply that I quoted below seemed pretty clear. About an egg a day, sometimes they skip a day or several, once in a while they will lay more than one in a day.

Edit: From what I understand, they will lay more regularly if they have 14 or so hours of light per day. If you want the math, that is approximately 1 egg/day x 365 days in a year, so somewhere around 350-370 egg/year. If you leave them with natural light, I would expect less during the winter.
Healthy Japanese coturnix quail hens will lay an egg a day, more or less, for a couple years after they start laying eggs, and will slow down production of eggs after that. It takes their reproductive system a bit of time when they first start laying though to get on schedule and work out all the kinks. I'm guessing that this is the first time that you have raised quail, chickens, or any birds that lay eggs, so I'm linking "Getting Started in Raising And Keeping Quail" to help you along. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/getting-started-in-raising-and-keeping-quail.67344/

From what I understand, they will lay more regularly if they have 14 or so hours of light per day. If you want the math, that is approximately 1 egg/day x 365 days in a year, so somewhere around 350-370 egg/year. If you leave them with natural light, I would expect less during the winter.
14 hours of light is considered minimum & 16 is considered ideal. It takes about 26 hours for a hen to produce one egg, give or take. I read one of those in depth, scientific study-type articles that suggested that if the quail lays smaller eggs, then it takes less than average time for her to lay the next, and likewise, if she lays larger eggs, it takes longer to produce an egg. I house my quail 8 or 9 hens per cock, have about a 66% fertility rate (and improving with nutritional supplements), and I get 6 to 9 eggs daily from each covey.

So I cracked one egg and I was really intrigued by it because it was really big. When I cracked it, it had two yolks. Is this bad? Or is it just normal. So far I’ve had two big eggs.

Okay cool. (Dumb question) if I were to incubate it would two chicks hatch? Sorry bad question!!

Double-yolker eggs usually either fail to develop properly, or one twin absorbs the other. There just isn't enough space for both of them. A couple of people have managed to hatch two chicks from a double-yolker, but the chicks tend to be weak, small, and underdeveloped. It's possible, but EXTREMELY unlikely, to get two healthy chicks- more often you get one healthy chick, two failed fetuses, or two failure-to-thrive chicks, and they'll have significant difficulty hatching due to each other being in the way. It's not suggested to incubate a double-yolker, for that reason.

Back
Top Bottom