Help! My quails are attacking each other!

Pics

Gigicoco05

Songster
Jul 15, 2019
So recently I hatched 3 quail eggs. They are around 7-8 weeks old. A few days ago I went out in the morning to feed them when I saw the the oldest sonic (dark colored) had a bleeding beak ( not that much) and a few feather from his head not there. I think that shadow the last born ( a mix of dark and light colors) attacked him or her. I separated them so far but I’ve come to notice that they seem to be attacking each other. Sonic just attacked hope today (white colored) quail. I was able to stop it before anything happened but otherwise it’s just sonic and shadow who fight. Please help. I don’t know what to do other than to separate them. Will they always fight or is it just something because maybe one is a female? Please help! Thanks!

Although not unheard of, it is rare for Japanese Coturnix Quail to go broody, and often lose interest long before the eggs are due to hatch; If you want to hatch from eggs that she lays, you may want to invest in an incubator as a Plan-B. The first couple of weeks laying are not considered particularly fertile anyway, as your hen is still working out all the kinks in her reproductive tract. Congratulations on her laying :) Candling quail eggs is a difficult process due to the speckled camouflage of the shell; I can usually see light pass through the egg until they've been incubated for close to a week, and then they get 'dark'. Dark indicating that there is development within the egg. I've yet to find a suitable light source to get better results from my candling efforts.

How many times a year do quails lay eggs? And how many? I still only have one from yesterday.
just like with chickens, you may not get regular eggs at first as others have stated, they are working out the “kinks” but also like chickens, quail typically lay 1 egg per day as long as they have 14-16 hours of daylight and proper nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom