Help, My Rooster is Isolating Himself From Coop and Buddies at Night!!

warmnfluffy

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2020
My rooster Cowboy has recently been isolating himself at night from the rest of the flock and wont go inside the coop. Instead he just roosts on a perch inside the run we have (connected to the coop). Cowboy is about 3-4 years or so (he is second hand so not exact age, also 1 yr when adopted) full grown and a normal weight. He has always gone inside fine until now and from when we got him he hasn't had any diseases or injuries, however there has been history of scaly leg mites and possibly worms in the flock that have since been treated. He has been doing this for only 2 nights so far but I would rather be safe than sorry. No other birds are doing this. He eats, drinks, and poops fine so far. I've just been putting him back in at night for treatment. I put in new bedding (from chips to puffing pellets) the other day so it could be a possibility that he's just not accustomed to it yet. Its starting to get pretty cold so I'm just worried. He also seems a little lethargic.

No we have one other rooster but he is a japanese bantam so he is lower on the pecking order.

I used to have a rooster that would sleep in the chicken door leading to the run when a predator was around. Any chance of a predator in the area?
Other then lethargic, is there anything else you notice with him? Is he eating, drinking, acting normal?

Its possible there is a predator we live close to some woods with coyotes in them. He is eating and drinking fine, however recently hes become more skiddish towards me when before he used to attack my feet alot.

Is there anything that has changed lately with the coop or run?
Roost space most likely hasn't changed.
Is he normally the last one in the coop and is your lighting changing where you are located? Is it dark before he can get in?
How has the 2nd ranked rooster been acting these 2 days? Has the pecking order changed?

Back
Top Bottom