HELP!!! My sebright has 1 scale that is swelling up!!!

She may have had a scaley leg mite get under that scale or injured it somehow and it bled. Then it got encrusted with dirt and dried blood and lifted up more. I agree you need to clean it out properly. Don't be too tentative. Their feet are quite robust. A nail brush works a treat I find.

Ok, i will do, she lives at my school so i will soak her after school. Do i have to keep her inside or do anything special? Do i need to add vitamins to her water? I am able to go out during lunch and spray her foot. Thank you so much!

She should be ok outside in her regular set up. No need to add stuff to her water so long as she is active, eating, drinking etc.

Getting it all cleaned up will make it much easier to see what's going on. An old toothbrush/nail brush certainly can help. Those crud balls can be quite hard indeed.

So there was smaller one in her middle toe. I was trying to see if I could like push it out and it came out. So all I have is that big one. She seems to be doing fine. She dose get really made when I soak her.

So there was smaller one in her middle toe. I was trying to see if I could like push it out and it came out. So all I have is that big one. She seems to be doing fine. She dose get really made when I soak her.
You don't need much water to soak. Since it's on the foot, you could try a drop or two of Peroxide just on the crud ball, see if that helps soften it. You also may need to use a tool like tweezers or an cuticle stick (orange stick) to work it out.

I think she has scaly leg mite. My silkie chickens have gotten it before and I cured it with putting vasaline on there legs to suffocate the mites under their scales. You will also have to clean the coop if you notice that other chickens are getting it. It is best to put the vasiline on their legs twice to make sure you get all of them.

I think she has scaly leg mite. My silkie chickens have gotten it before and I cured it with putting vasaline on there legs to suffocate the mites under their scales. You will also have to clean the coop if you notice that other chickens are getting it. It is best to put the vasiline on their legs twice to make sure you get all of them.
Still looks like a poop ball stuck in the scales to me.
Take a look at leg photo in this article - that is what SLM looks like.
http://www.poultrydvm.com/cases/chook-norris

It's gonna take time, go slow and careful....if bird is not housed at your home not sure how much time you have to spend on it

Back
Top Bottom