HELP! My silkie hen has lice all over her face!!!!

deedra11

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 18, 2010
My Silkie Hen Has Lice (i Think). I Noticed She Has All These White Things On Her Face & Around Her Eyes, I'm Not Sure If They Are Eggs Or Lice. I Noticed One Moving Today Around Her Eye. My Question Is How Do You Get Them Off Around Her Face? I Was Going To Give Her A Bath With Dawn Soap Or Salt Water? But Can Won't That Burn Her Eyes? I Plan On Cleaning Out The Entire Coop & Throwing Down De With Some New Wood Chips. She Is Also Broody & I Am Trying To Break Her Of It But She Won't Snap Out Of It. My Other Hens Don't Seem To Have It But Should I Give Everyone A Bath?

Their mites. All chickens have them. You can dip the birds in a chemical or natural bath to kill them, but I heard from a lady yesterday, that the best thing is to put a pinch of garlic powder in your gallon of water. That the mites won't like the way they taste. I'm doing it before we get them, because I know we will. They're very common.

Also, get and throw some Diatomaceous Earth on their floor. That should work.

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry, this is misinformation...ALL chickens DO NOT have mites.
Deedra11. I recommend you use sevin dust to treat them. Since they are silkies, put some sevin dust on your fingers and gently rub it in all over her. Try not to get any dust in their eyes, nostrils and beak areas. Treat all of them in the same manner. Redust them in 10 days the same way. You need to dust their coop with sevin dust as well, including nests and roosts. Repeat dusting in 10 days to kill any lice or mites that have hatched from the first dusting. Here's a link for you to read. http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

Back
Top Bottom