Help need info. on my new buff Orps....

we get 4-6 eggs per day from our 3 Plymouth Rock and 3 Australorp. My husband has put up a light in the coop - on a timer from 2am till 6am. The chickens are about 9 months old, so they're probably in their laying prime, though, I'd imagine.

Well it depends what breed you get... If you get more buffs 8 sounds about right... Could probably even get away with seven. Just be careful introducing new birds espically if there adults as they can carry diseases and/or mites lice or worms I reccomend you keep them in quarintine for at least 2 weeks to make sure there not sick our have any parasites. They should be fine without heat in there coop buffs are a fairly cold tolerant breed.

Last edited:
Good luck!
smile.png

I hope my girls will produce like that...I am going to put a light on for them tomorrow. We just have some really cold winters here in ky and I am hoping that will help me out also.

Yes , it is already becoming an obsession...lol I just love my girls!!!! The new hens I was thinking of getting are from the same hatch I have now, they were already together. I just didnt buy enough from my neighbor...lol So, now I gotta see if he will sale me 8 more................everyone keep their fingers crossed for me!!!

p.s.
You guys are awsome!!

thnks I am already enjoying them, they are beautiful girls!! I love the blues and lavenders as well, are they as good layers as the buff? I would like to have a few pullets, just hard to find in my area.

kychic I don't know what part of the state you are in but I'm up in northern Ky. Rarely do we get temps cold enough to cause any problems if you have plenty of ventilation but no drafts. It sounds like your coop might be in a horse barn or such. That should be ideal. Keep the vents on the opposite side from the roost poles and your chicks will be fine. The two biggest problems in our area in winter are frostbite(caused by high humidity due to moisture buildup from lack of ventilation) and respritory problems due to drafts. There is no need for insulation or other extreme measures in our area.

And by the way.......WELCOME to BYC!!!!!!

Larry

Thanks dirtsaver, I am in south eastern kentucky. That is great to know and yea I do have them in my horse barn, I gave them 2 ajoining stalls(which my hubby wasnt really wanting to give up) so I feel better now knowing they will be fine this winter.

Back
Top Bottom