Help needed! Chicken found stuck in coop, ammonia poisoning

Thunder344

Crowing
Sep 12, 2020
Stafford, Virginia
Hey,

I went into my coop to get an egg I saw on the floor and found one of my RIRs, (Penny) stuck between a door and the wall. The only possible answer I have for how she got there is that she fell of a roosting bar and landed there. I have no idea how long she has been there, but I have been in the coop recently (probably at least twice a day) and I didn't notice her, but then again that might just be me. I got her out and she is on my deck in the shade, with water, some wetted down food, and apple cider vinegar in her water. She has been drinking on her own, but I have also been force-giving her water, which she is also drinking. Will not eat. I've noticed than when carrying her to the deck her breathing/noise is raspy, which I understand may be because of breathing in the air where she was. (next to a small poop pile)
Anything else I can do for her? Anything I can do to get her to eat? What about the breathing? She (I think) is now 3-5 years old.
Thanks in advance,
Thunder

Hey,

I went into my coop to get an egg I saw on the floor and found one of my RIRs, (Penny) stuck between a door and the wall. The only possible answer I have for how she got there is that she fell of a roosting bar and landed there. I have no idea how long she has been there, but I have been in the coop recently (probably at least twice a day) and I didn't notice her, but then again that might just be me. I got her out and she is on my deck in the shade, with water, some wetted down food, and apple cider vinegar in her water. She has been drinking on her own, but I have also been force-giving her water, which she is also drinking. Will not eat. I've noticed than when carrying her to the deck her breathing/noise is raspy, which I understand may be because of breathing in the air where she was. (next to a small poop pile)
Anything else I can do for her? Anything I can do to get her to eat? What about the breathing? She (I think) is now 3-5 years old.
Thanks in advance,
Thunder
Ohh poor baby! I don‘t knkw about ammonia poisoning in chickens, but it sounds like you’re doing her good. Good luck with her And prayers❤️

I have moved her into the garage in my chicken pen. I had to split it in half with a piece of cardboard because my faverolles girl Squeaky is still recovering from wry neck and sleeps there in the night. She has water, food mush, and clean air. I don't know what else I can do for her. She did poop, (in my house :/) and I cant get a picture of it because I've already cleaned it up.
Getting a photo now to upload.

20220318_114614.jpg

Her on the deck
20220318_123515.jpg

Her now in the garage

Is there a chance she might eat an egg if I cook it for her?

Ammonia poisoning is reduced by giving water or milk, apparently.

She could be in shock. Keep her warm and hydrated. You could look into electrolytes like baking soda. (I don't know if its reaction with the vinegar would be a problem, but I don't think so, unless her crop is really full or too much is given.) Look up other threads on shock for more/better advice.

Sorry, I thought this was in the new posts feed. How did she do? We once lost a rooster that got trapped upside-down on a temporary divider, hanging by a spur. I hope yours came out of it...

Back
Top Bottom