Help needed! Duckling

Amy2704

Hatching
Jul 4, 2023
Hi guys,
So one of my ducks externally pipped 48 hours ago on the date it should and he got stuck in the shell. With some help he managed to break out of his egg however this is how it looks now. I’m unsure if he will make it or not. He’s getting around and drinking water but he seems tired all the time. It’s been 9 hours since he’s been free. Any ideas what I should do with him?

Attachments

• 59A1B98D-A5AC-4F11-9DDF-4C528E694661.jpeg
    59A1B98D-A5AC-4F11-9DDF-4C528E694661.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 65
It looks like the yolk sac has ruptured. When one is hatched with yolk not all the way absorbed the duckling should be put on dry soft paper towels in a bowl or cup and left in the bator until yolk has completely absorbed to keep something like this from happening. Not sure if you can do anything but I would not let it be dragging this around. Do you have Veterycin spray for wounds and infections?

@New duck mommy 2021

Last edited:
Has that cord and gunk fell off yet ?
Can we can an updated picture of how the belly looks now
The cord looks so much better now it looks like it’s about to fall off. I have noticed his left foot tends to bend a little but as the day goes on he’s been putting it flat and he’s managing to stand. And his neck is getting stronger. Tough little cookie this one!

Back
Top Bottom