Help needed for newly hatched chick - leg/foot irritation

kelar

Songster
9 Years
May 22, 2010
yacolt
I have a silkie chick that hatched on Tuesday & was moved to the brooder Wednesday. I didn't notice the chick having any problems in the incubator and it hatched normally, but shortly after putting the chicks in the brooder, I noticed this chick pecking at its feet like it was trying to get something off. I checked the foot and leg and didn't see anything amiss. When I checked a little later, the chick was actually rolling over backwards and really pecking at its foot - enough to draw blood. I put the chick back in the incubator last night with another chick and the lights off so at least it could get some sleep. Put it back in the brooder this morning & it is still doing the same thing - something on its foot or leg is really causing it distress, it is cheeping miserably, but otherwise is alert and active. It seems to be able to bear weight on the leg although it also holds the leg up at times. I don't see anything stuck to the leg or foot, any parasites or anything else that could explain this behavior. Anyone with ideas?? Thanks for any help. Karen

I just wanted to add that on checking the chick a few minutes ago, I see that it has bloodied both middle toes from pecking at them. It's like it does not recognize its own feet. I've seen chicks playfully peck at themselves, but this one is serious. I'm wondering if maybe bandaging the toes would help? Put something on them?

Sorry that I won't be much help to you but did you scatter some starter on the floor to give it something else to peck at?? Hopefully someone else will be along to help you more. Can the chick stand & does it?

Is it just the one foot that it is pecking at? That is odd, especially since it doesn't show any signs of parasites or irritation. The others are going to start pecking at the blood if they haven't already. I think I would wash it with some soap and water and bandage the foot with something like vet wrap. I would be afraid to use any tape since the little one already has that foot or toes raw. Is he eating? Perhaps some crumbled hard boiled yolk as a treat to encourage positive pecking activities. Good luck.
big_smile.png

Well I've raised a lot of chicks & have never seen anything like this. It is mostly concerned with one foot, but has pecked at both of them enough to draw blood. Otherwise, the chick is eating & drinking, seems to feel fine - they have 2 bowls of food - egg yolk crumbled in one and the Kaytee hand feeding formula in the other. I don't think vet wrap would stay put on a foot this small. I'm hesitating putting anything on the feet, but think I'll try washing them and see if that helps. Karen

Back
Top Bottom