HELP! New turkey mama who is trying to save one egg!

newturkeymama

Hatching
Jul 11, 2021
Hey y’all! So I am totally new to incubating / turkey / anything to do with eggs! I have been doing a ton of research and I am somewhat educated on the basics.
So…… here’s the back story. We have a hen that laid eggs, something got her eggs. We took the last 3 and put them in the incubator. We aren’t really sure what day we are on because she didn’t truly dedicate to sitting on them until July 11th. So we based off that day to count 28 days from. Long story short, out of the 3, one seems to be the only one alive because I candled them and only seen movement out of this LAST ONE. I am extremely dedicated to saving this little angel!! SO PLEASE HELP ME!
I currently have the incubator set at 99 degrees with 77 % humidity. I think that’s a little high? I don’t want to jeopardize this little guy/girl but I also don’t want it to dry out. It’s been set at this for at least 2 days because based on our calculations they were supposed to be hatching within the next 3-4 days. It is ROCKING like crazy today! I can’t hear any peeping or anything from outside the incubator. Is my humidity too high? I’ve read mixed things on this! I haven’t seen an external pip and I haven’t candled it from fear of messing anything up so I don’t know if it has internally pipped either.

ALL FEEDBACK WELCOMED! Please be nice!

Hey y’all! So I am totally new to incubating / turkey / anything to do with eggs! I have been doing a ton of research and I am somewhat educated on the basics.
So…… here’s the back story. We have a hen that laid eggs, something got her eggs. We took the last 3 and put them in the incubator. We aren’t really sure what day we are on because she didn’t truly dedicate to sitting on them until July 11th. So we based off that day to count 28 days from. Long story short, out of the 3, one seems to be the only one alive because I candled them and only seen movement out of this LAST ONE. I am extremely dedicated to saving this little angel!! SO PLEASE HELP ME!
I currently have the incubator set at 99 degrees with 77 % humidity. I think that’s a little high? I don’t want to jeopardize this little guy/girl but I also don’t want it to dry out. It’s been set at this for at least 2 days because based on our calculations they were supposed to be hatching within the next 3-4 days. It is ROCKING like crazy today! I can’t hear any peeping or anything from outside the incubator. Is my humidity too high? I’ve read mixed things on this! I haven’t seen an external pip and I haven’t candled it from fear of messing anything up so I don’t know if it has internally pipped either.

When candling, you can tell when the egg is internally pipped. The air cell will drawn down before the poult internally pips. Until the egg is internally pipped, there is no need to have such high humidity. It is okay to use a much lower humidity until the egg is externally pipped. Even then 70% humidity is high enough.

I lockdown at 65% to 70% humidity.

When candling, you can tell when the egg is internally pipped. The air cell will drawn down before the poult internally pips. Until the egg is internally pipped, there is no need to have such high humidity. It is okay to use a much lower humidity until the egg is externally pipped. Even then 70% humidity is high enough.

I lockdown at 65% to 70% humidity.
Thank you! I’m having a hard time keeping my humidity down! I don’t have that much water in there. I know about “lockdown” but I soaked up some of the water to try and drop the humidity down. So it’s okay for me to remove the egg to candle it to see if it has internally pipped? I’m just worried bc I’m not sure exactly what day it is or when I should expect it to hatch. It is moving the egg & chirping a lot!

Taking the egg out to candle may actually be beneficial as it gives the egg the natural slight cool down that they get when a hen leaves the nest.

If you are in an area where the ambient humidity is 60% you should not need any water in the incubator until lockdown, Too high of humidity during incubation can be very harmful by preventing the air cell to develop to the size it needs to be for hatching.

I like your ending. Please be nice. You know this forum well.

Back
Top Bottom