Help - Not sure of this is prolapse or not.

Clgorbet

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2023
This is after about her 5th soak in 2 days. Please help. I am at a loss. Totally fine Thursday morning when I fed and changed water before work, laid an egg that day, came home after work and noticed this when she jumped on me for pre bed grain. She is eating (I have limited her food and keeping her in a dark room) and drinking and acting fine. The hard crust will not come off even after an hour soak so I can't push it in....if that is even what I am dealing with. 😔

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230325_205046_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230325_205046_Gallery.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 8
This is after about her 5th soak in 2 days. Please help. I am at a loss. Totally fine Thursday morning when I fed and changed water before work, laid an egg that day, came home after work and noticed this when she jumped on me for pre bed grain. She is eating (I have limited her food and keeping her in a dark room) and drinking and acting fine. The hard crust will not come off even after an hour soak so I can't push it in....if that is even what I am dealing with. 😔
I believe so. Usually when you soak it you can push it in or occasionally once it’s been soaked it will retract by itself. Im not very knowledgeable on prolapses.. I can @ people, although I feel like most people are asleep right now. @BarnyardChaos @fluffycrow Try to read this article https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

It does look prolapsed. The most important thing right now is to keep the area moist, never let it dry out. Do you have something to lubricate the area? People have used honey, so you can definitely do that. After lubricating, you can try to slowly push the prolapse in

Oh wow!! That article was a lot of help. Thank you. I need to get that poop or dead tissue off before I can attempt to get it back in.

It does look prolapsed. The most important thing right now is to keep the area moist, never let it dry out. Do you have something to lubricate the area? People have used honey, so you can definitely do that. After lubricating, you can try to slowly push the prolapse in
I have been using honey and I add a little coconut oil to her soaks. I haven't tried to push it in since that large chunk of poop or dead tissue hasn't come off at all. Any ideas on how to get that to come off? Someone mentioned it could be necropofied tissue so not sure how to handle that.

Yes, it is a prolapsed cloaca. Do not let the tissue dry out, and most use hydrocortisone cream, honey, sugar paste made with a couple drops of water, vaseline, or other mild oil. Give her a human calcium tablet with vitamin D today and daily until it goes back in. That can help the prolapse go back inside. The brownish parts will hopefully fall of eventually. Make sure that she is pooping.

Yes, it is a prolapsed cloaca. Do not let the tissue dry out, and most use hydrocortisone cream, honey, sugar paste made with a couple drops of water, vaseline, or other mild oil. Give her a human calcium tablet with vitamin D today and daily until it goes back in. That can help the prolapse go back inside. The brownish parts will hopefully fall of eventually. Make sure that she is pooping.

Wow!! Thank you so very much. I will definitely go buy some of that now. She is pooping and eating. I have her in a dog crate inside and keeping it dark so that she doesn't try to lay. Thank you again. Helps so much knowing what I am dealing with and how to move forward. I have been giving her 2 soaks a day with a little coconut oil in it and Epsom salt. Should I keep doing that or just focus on keeping that area clean and moist?

I would do at least one soak a day, but it depends on how much she is pooping or getting it dirty. If she ever seems very weak, it would not be good to bathe her, since that can push them over the edge.

Wow!! Thank you so very much. I will definitely go buy some of that now. She is pooping and eating. I have her in a dog crate inside and keeping it dark so that she doesn't try to lay. Thank you again. Helps so much knowing what I am dealing with and how to move forward. I have been giving her 2 soaks a day with a little coconut oil in it and Epsom salt. Should I keep doing that or just focus on keeping that area clean and moist?

You're doing great, shes in really good hands. You can do both, but the area has to remain clean and moist 24/7 until she alone or with your help, can push it back in. If she seems very week I wouldn't push her too much

Back
Top Bottom