Help on Bottom Of Run

silver1polish

Songster
5 Years
Jun 18, 2014
Sadened...
Hello everyone! Does anyone have any sugguestions on the bottom of my run floor? I wanna do grass, but any other sugguestions besides sand and hay? I was thinking like every 3 months I would like do a plot of cat grass for her. Getting more chix DX. What do you guys think of this cat grass? Can they eat the seeds? can they eat the grass? Here's the link to check it out.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pet-Gree...75035&wl11=online&wl12=48627630&wl13=&veh=sem
Thanks guys! Silver1Polish
bun.gif

Here is an article that I have found helpful: Bedding Part 1: Comparing Materials. I also personally like use grass clippings (in the summer), leaves (in the fall), and wood chips/bark. I haven't tried growing grass (again) in my run, if you decide to do it I would love to know how it turns out!
I had hoped to see @mymilliefleur include sand in the article about comparing bedding, because it is an alternative option with it's own pros and cons.

Sand doesn't work well, for very long at least, in most climates.

That 'cat grass' is nothing but wheat berries/seeds.....easy to grow but the birds will tear it up fast.
Do a search on 'fodder'. Can grow it 'grazing frames' too.

Mixed dry plant matter makes the best run bedding, IMO.
Here's a great description of contents and how to manage organic 'bedding' in a run or coop...and there's a great video of what it looks like.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037998/muddy-run-help-please#post_16017992

I use deep bedding; shavings, chips, hay, straw, whatever. You will find that newer chicken keepers with tiny flocks, who 'scoop poop' daily, use sand. Us 'old fogies' with years of chicken keeping, and larger flocks, use litter. Especially if we aren't in the dry desert. Mary

I use sand.....It is great.....No stink...easy to clean...Kitty litter scoop and pail.....I pile the poops and use in my flower beds in the spring....old sand I put under my trees......Everyone is Happy........Not sure why others do not like it?

Cheers!

I had grass in my main run... it's about 50 percent not-grass now lol. It actually lasted longer than I expected but now that it's wet the chickens have torn through their favorite section.

I now have leaf litter (leaves from the willow tree shading the run) as my run flooring. It actually saves me time since the leaves naturally fall into the areas that the chickens tore up. If you're in an area where you can gather up a lot of leaves or pine needles, they seem to work well during rainy season for drainage. Grass clippings seem to get too slimy and matted on the other hand, with a lot of rain. If you don't get too much rain where you're at, wood shavings will work as well.

Back
Top Bottom