Help! Pair of Geese and one Loner

doodle18doos

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 25, 2010
Had a pair of Toulouse geese for six years, they were the only geese I had, they were quite happy. Last spring the female passed away. The male was so lonely, I called around and found a single 1 year old Buff female. Was encouraged to take home a young mixed male too. Of course the new geese bonded, and though the single Toulouse was dominant all last summer, the tables turned last fall and the new pair is now dominant to him. And he is lonely again. Wanders around by himself. Sad to watch. No one wants the one new pair, and I don't want to have them eaten. Sooooo.... would it work out if I found only a female goose and introduced her to the lonely Toulouse? Thus making two pairs. These geese roam free on our farm. Or am I asking for more trouble? Just want the lonely guy to have a friend. I never knew geese had pecking orders like chickens.

Quote:
They do have a pecking order about the only difference is that a Goose can end up as Queen. There is no predicting what might happen with the addition of a female she may pair or join the other geese as second wife unless you are willing to completely seperate the two pair it may never happen. If he is outcast now he MAY remain that way and the dominate pair gets the new bird.

Thanks for the info. And rats! Should never have brought home that pair. My mistake. If I keep trying and find someone to adopt the new pair, would all be fine if I can find him a single goose to bond with?

Quote:
She might but then again she might not bond with him. I can't predict the love life of geese. On the up side once the breeding season is over the pair might let him hang out with them geese tend to be very social birds.

Back
Top Bottom