buttercupbon

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2019
thailand
Hi guys, i know this site is mainly for chickens but I found the “other pets and livestock” thread so I thought I’d give it a try.

So my 10 month old potbelly pig, Bonnie recently came up with a skin abrasion appearing under her left eye i though it was just dry skin so I moisturized her with some coconut oil but as a month went by it appeared that it had spread to her right eye as well and with a little bit of swelling and that’s when I started taking things seriously so I tried betadine, cinnamon oil/diluted, and eczema cream .. and I really didn’t know what else I could do because the vets in my area know nothing about pigs just dogs and cats .. so I was hoping one of you might know what to do and what it could be ? If you do know please help! ❤️

Here’s an image

Attachments

• DCBE5D51-BDC2-47FE-A59C-E71970371975.jpeg
    DCBE5D51-BDC2-47FE-A59C-E71970371975.jpeg
    757 KB · Views: 12
Hi guys, i know this site is mainly for chickens but I found the “other pets and livestock” thread so I thought I’d give it a try.

So my 10 month old potbelly pig, Bonnie recently came up with a skin abrasion appearing under her left eye i though it was just dry skin so I moisturized her with some coconut oil but as a month went by it appeared that it had spread to her right eye as well and with a little bit of swelling and that’s when I started taking things seriously so I tried betadine, cinnamon oil/diluted, and eczema cream .. and I really didn’t know what else I could do because the vets in my area know nothing about pigs just dogs and cats .. so I was hoping one of you might know what to do and what it could be ? If you do know please help! ❤️

Here’s an image
:frowHi there. Did you know BYC has a sister site called www.backyardherds.com ?

I would guess that if it’s spread, that means it’s infectious and you might need an antibiotic.

I have 2 friends here who have pigs. Let’s tag them and see if they are up yet.

@rjohns39 @A_Fowl_Guy
Can you guys help out?

Lots of things can cause skin issues in pigs (and other animals). If she were mine I would dab a little BluKote or antibiotic ointment on it. Is there any possibility she needs vitamins?

She lives indoors but during the day she’s our in the garden. And her daily diet consists of mix veggies, rice & grain and some dinner scraps sometimes. I don’t know her exact weight but maybe around 50-70 lbs-
This sounds like a good diet. However, it might be a good idea to give her some vitamins in her food. Can't hurt.

She lives indoors but during the day she’s our in the garden. And her daily diet consists of mix veggies, rice & grain and some dinner scraps sometimes. I don’t know her exact weight but maybe around 50-70 lbs-

I would find a pot belly pig feed as it is all the vitamins and nutrients needed for healthy skin.

Back
Top Bottom