Help! Pig stealing all the bird food!

JamieMcClain

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
I’m desperately seeking ideas for a pig proof feeder. My pot belly pig constantly steals all my flocks feed! They all free range during the day but I’d still like them to have access to feed and every time I put any out my pot belly pig comes running and chases all the birds away. I chase her back so they can eat but as soon as I turn my back she comes running back. I’m afraid she’s going to get overweight very quickly doing this (she’s supposed to be on a diet anyways!). Any ideas are welcome! We have a mixed flock of ducks, chickens, and geese.

Lock either the pig or the birds up. Or put the feed up on a roof or something where the pig can't get to it-- If you do this be prepared for the pig to tear stuff apart trying to get to the feed. Actually, be prepared.for that to happen anyway.

I have been there and done that and have nothing positive to say about pet pigs running loose around the place.

Make a fenced enclosure with an entrance that turns six to eight inches from the outside, an L shape path so to speak. Or just drive stakes six inches apart, fasten the tops together and a top to keep porky from jumping over into the area. The pig of course will appreciate a challenge and has little else to do so expect a lot of work on its part to get into the feed.

Make a fenced enclosure with an entrance that turns six to eight inches from the outside, an L shape path so to speak. Or just drive stakes six inches apart, fasten the tops together and a top to keep porky from jumping over into the area. The pig of course will appreciate a challenge and has little else to do so expect a lot of work on its part to get into the feed.

this is kind of what I did! And so far it’s worked great. She’s a handicapped pig (her legs are too short and the backs are deformed) so I made small Entrances that are too small for her but big enough for the geese on each side of an enclosure and placed a pallet in front of them that she can’t hop over. So far it’s working. She spends most of the afternoon laying by it trying to find a weak point though.

You found a way to entertain her! Careful though, pigs will eat chickens and just about anything that moves.
I honestly think she’s too slow to catch any of them. But so far she likes them all. She lets them perch on her and she likes that they keep the flies off her. Plus she loves getting all the snacks they don’t eat 😉

Back
Top Bottom