Help please! Does Billena the Barred Rock have sour crop?

leia_and_friends

Chirping
Jan 25, 2020
Australia
Hello BYCers!

This morning I went out to the run, and my BR Billena was just hopping off the nest box. I went around doing chicken stuff, and when I next looked at her, she was still just standing there looking sleepy. Her comb was a bit pale, and so I went to try to perk her up by giving some pear slices with crushed Vitiamin C on them, as it's really helped in the past. I also mixed up some coccidiostat in their water, just in case.

Then I went and had a feel of her crop. It was flat, and felt like it had a lot of watery stuff in, with a few lumps of food or grit in. But mainly watery stuff. My Mum let the chickens out this morning, so I don't know if she's eaten anything this morning aside from the pear and some chickweed and grass (which she ate after I felt her crop).

I couldn't smell anything on her breath, and I haven't seen any of her poo. She is currently free-ranging out the front, and doesn't have access to her crumble or water. She's more perky than when she first stepped out of the nest box.

Is it sour crop? I have a treatment method ready if it does turn out to be. Any tips?

Thanks in advance! 🙂

~ Jemima

Ok, thank you. Do I need to withhold food from her if I do give it?

I didn't withhold food and did as this article said. it works great.

info from the article says this:

Following treatment for sour crop, offer plenty of plain fresh water and boiled egg to get the crop operating again. I like to also give a probiotic or Greek yogurt to restore good microbes in crop and intestines.

this makes me think they withheld food but with mine i didn't and still worked.

I didn't withhold food and did as this article said. it works great.

info from the article says this:

Following treatment for sour crop, offer plenty of plain fresh water and boiled egg to get the crop operating again. I like to also give a probiotic or Greek yogurt to restore good microbes in crop and intestines.

this makes me think they withheld food but with mine i didn't and still worked.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the help and advice. Hopefully she'll recover soon! :fl

This morning I went out to the run, and my BR Billena was just hopping off the nest box. I went around doing chicken stuff, and when I next looked at her, she was still just standing there looking sleepy. Her comb was a bit pale, and so I went to try to perk her up by giving some pear slices with crushed Vitiamin C on them, as it's really helped in the past. I also mixed up some coccidiostat in their water, just in case.
Then I went and had a feel of her crop. It was flat, and felt like it had a lot of watery stuff in, with a few lumps of food or grit in. But mainly watery stuff. My Mum let the chickens out this morning, so I don't know if she's eaten anything this morning aside
How is she doing?
Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink so you can gauge where you actually need to treat her for crop issues.

Get some photos of her and her droppings too.

I would not treat with a Coccidiostat unless it's clear that it's needed. What did you give her?

Back
Top Bottom