Help Please! Is my Ameraucana a bantam or dwarf?

iferdybas

Hatching
Feb 26, 2018
Chai.jpg
Hi Everyone! I have a flock of 16 chicks (about 8-9 weeks old.) My Ameraucanas are about 7 weeks old. I have 3 of them. Two are doing well, while 1 is still teeny tiny. She fits in the palm of my hand. She is active, eats, and drinks, but spends a lot of time climbing under the legs of the larger birds and snuggling. Any suggestions of what might be going on?

She looks sick
She acts completely fine. She eats, drinks, runs around. This picture was taken at night when I was snuggling her. She is a total lovebug. She seems to act the same as all the others she just is teeny tiny. She also is getting all of her big girl feathers, but is staying small.

While photos can be deceiving as they just capture one moment, I agree that ty j bird shown appears to be in a posture indicating being unwell. Can you take and post a short video or additional photos showing her behaving normally as you describe? This photo coupled with her failure to thrive points to underlying issues

Last edited:
I had a Dutch bantam that looked normal when I got her and her sister at 1 month old, but then turned out to be a dwarf because never got any bigger or developed properly. She would stand like yours looks, poofed up, and was very sweet but never prospered like her sister did, never weighed more than a pound no matter what she ate or did, always seemed tired, and only made it to about 5 months old because once her hormones started changing her body couldn't handle it. If the one in the pic is 7 weeks old, I'd say you may have a dwarf also. Enjoy her, but sad to say be prepared for her life to be much shorter.

Back
Top Bottom