Help please! My hen has a large hole under vent, no signs of flystrike.

Chicksofthepines

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2023
Hello, I’m new here but have been using backyard chickens for many years and have always been able to find an answer to the problems I face with my chickens. After searching for hours I came up empty and am hoping that someone here can help.

Sunday I noticed one of my girls looking bare in the bottom. After catching her I was horrified to find a huge black hole on her backside, under her vent. I separated her and started looking for answers. Flystrike seemed to be the closest thing so I soaked her in epsom salt. I saw no maggots at all.
Yesterday I soaked her again and as the blackness started to soften I noticed there was fecal matter in it (seemed to be coming from the wound). After today’s soak I took these photos because I can’t figure out what I’m seeing in the wound. She is a lavender orpington,1yr 3mo old.

Thank you for any advice and suggestions.

Attachments

• 39EB40F3-DFAF-4885-B25E-B85EBC63ECFD.jpeg
    39EB40F3-DFAF-4885-B25E-B85EBC63ECFD.jpeg
    441.2 KB · Views: 321
  • C14B9927-6F3F-4679-B6F7-0877CA91C94E.jpeg
    C14B9927-6F3F-4679-B6F7-0877CA91C94E.jpeg
    545.3 KB · Views: 94
Wow...I'm really not sure. I have owned chickens for nearly 3 years now, but I have never seen this. I would soak her in an epsom salt bath for an hour to kill the bacteria, I would give her an antibiotic, and I would put some neosporin cream on the wound. Keep her in a very clean, dry area away from weather extremes and other flock mates. I pray that Jesus will help her.

Thank you all! I have her separated from the flock in a rabbit cage, she is under a shelter away from the blazing sun and has a fan on her for comfort and to keep the flies away. I will soak her longer tomorrow, I’ve been doing 20 minutes and she seems to enjoy it. She’s not eating but still has a lot of vigor. I’m hoping she has enough fight to make it.

I'm thinking along the line that @MysteryChicken is. Of course we can only guess what started this wound, pecking by the other chickens is a good first guess.

My brain got a little more elaborate with its conjecture - rat infested coop and rats nibbling on chickens at night while they are helpless. It does happen. Another guess is an internal infection that has progressed to the point of abscess that is erupting through the epidermal layer. To be honest, I don't know if that's even possible. I have a runaway imagination.

What is apparent now is that the hen has a raging infection. It's probably progressed beyond what is treatable with expectation of recovery, but I always try if the chicken is alert and active. Start with Epsom salt soaks with an antiseptic wound wash like Betadine in it. Make the water around 42C / 107F. Keep it that hot for the entire soak as it helps to kill bacteria but isn't hot enough to burn tissue. Between soaks keep an antibacterial ointment on it or use Manuka honey. This should be done daily. She should also be started on an antibiotic. Do you have any on hand. including leftover people prescriptions?

I'm thinking along the line that @MysteryChicken is. Of course we can only guess what started this wound, pecking by the other chickens is a good first guess.

My brain got a little more elaborate with its conjecture - rat infested coop and rats nibbling on chickens at night while they are helpless. It does happen. Another guess is an internal infection that has progressed to the point of abscess that is erupting through the epidermal layer. To be honest, I don't know if that's even possible. I have a runaway imagination.

What is apparent now is that the hen has a raging infection. It's probably progressed beyond what is treatable with expectation of recovery, but I always try if the chicken is alert and active. Start with Epsom salt soaks with an antiseptic wound wash like Betadine in it. Make the water around 42C / 107F. Keep it that hot for the entire soak as it helps to kill bacteria but isn't hot enough to burn tissue. Between soaks keep an antibacterial ointment on it or use Manuka honey. This should be done daily. She should also be started on an antibiotic. Do you have any on hand. including leftover people prescriptions?
Thank you so much! It could be rats, we’ve have one of the worst years this year. I do have some fishmox, how do I know how much to give her?

Back
Top Bottom