Help please-old sick hen

I agree with @Tookie I'd get some calcium into her and see if that helps.

Do you have photos of her and her poop?
I have pics of her but she didn’t poop once the entire time she was in a crate (5pm to 8am).
43683F30-82E9-45F4-9104-ADCB96772AFD.jpeg

80D76D6C-FE58-410B-978E-5ED9D6E7D2AB.jpeg

In a small crate, they may not poop so see what comes out later in the day.

I'd re-check her crop first thing to make sure it's emptying. Extra calcium for a few days in case she's having trouble laying an egg. See that she's staying hydrated and eating.

Hi everyone. I have a 2 year old ISA brown hen that isn’t acting well. She’s been odd on and off for a few weeks now. Today she was standing in a corner, eyes closed, super puffy feathers and very lethargic. Upon picking her up I realized that she’s dropped A TON of weight. She used to be super heavy and now she’s super light, basically all feathers. But she’s eating fine. Is she just nearing the end?
I encourage you to follow the advice you have been given to try to save your hen, but I also want to tell you my personal experience with ISA Browns. If you feel comfortable doing a home necropsy after your hen passes, I think you will learn that there was nothing you could have done to heal her. I've had well over 100 ISA Brown hens come and go over the years, and the emaciated condition you describe has always without exception proved to be the end stage of reproductive cancer. Like you describe, by the time they act sick and I pick them up, they are nothing but air and feathers. Your hen may have other reproductive issues like salpingtitis too, but the emaciated state you describe screams cancer. I am sorry. ISA Browns are so curious; vibrant and funny, and they lay beautiful big brown eggs. But when it comes to a long chicken life, they definitely draw the short straw. 😞

I encourage you to follow the advice you have been given to try to save your hen, but I also want to tell you my personal experience with ISA Browns. If you feel comfortable doing a home necropsy after your hen passes, I think you will learn that there was nothing you could have done to heal her. I've had well over 100 ISA Brown hens come and go over the years, and the emaciated condition you describe has always without exception proved to be the end stage of reproductive cancer. Like you describe, by the time they act sick and I pick them up, they are nothing but air and feathers. Your hen may have other reproductive issues like salpingtitis too, but the emaciated state you describe screams cancer. I am sorry. ISA Browns are so curious; vibrant and funny, and they lay beautiful big brown eggs. But when it comes to a long chicken life, they definitely draw the short straw. 😞
Thank you. I lost a RIR to cancer. I’m giving her the things that were suggested but no improvement yet. I can’t bring myself to do a necropsy yet, maybe in the future, but not yet. Thanks!

Get her to a vet, asap. I've had some chickens behave the same way. Stand-offish, not moving much, if at all. Turned out to be Egg yolk peritonitis; deadly. Good luck!

Get her to a vet, asap. I've had some chickens behave the same way. Stand-offish, not moving much, if at all. Turned out to be Egg yolk peritonitis; deadly. Good luck!
Unfortunately a vet isn’t an option for me, as my only avian vet is out on vacation for two weeks and the only other one is multiple hours away and way too expensive. She’s moving more now, just skinny and puffy

Back
Top Bottom