Help please !!! Overthinker here

ChickenBhuna

In the Brooder
Aug 26, 2022
Hello! BACKGROUND - I have a house hen who is free range outsdie and comes to work with us on a regular (I work outside dry stone walling). She just turned up one day from out of the blue. Never found her owner has been with us for nearly a year. She sleeps inside in a dog crate and still lays. She has free roam of the house and garden and is part litter trained. She is fed on layers mash daily, mixed seeds and corn unless over 20 degrees. She has fruit like blueberries and grapes, veggies like carrots and sometimes little treats of fish. Or purpose chicken treats. I struggle with anxiety and often over think things and just want to do the best for my hen. I have learnt everything 'Chicken' from this website and copious amounts of research. HELP PLEASE!! On Wednesday I noticed tiny tiny little hair like worms in Bhunas poo. They were moving and appeared to die off after a few linutes. They are like yellow and/or white and probably wouldn't have noticed them if she was a coop hen. We have recently moved house and she has a lot more grass. She is absolutely fine in herself, poos are of normal consistency , she's eating drink normal not more or less, she's laying and she's her normal sassy self. Straight away I put apple cider vinegar in her water , (I change her water daily her laters mash and drink is kept inside in the kitchen). Gave tried it with her before as was recommended it for a healthy daily boost for chickens but she was interested in the water. I haven't ever wormed her or given her any medications before. Anyway she's been drinking her water with it in now. I contacted the vets and got a sachet of FLIMABOND and since Wednesday have been adding it to her water daily. Only about 1g. As 20g is for 1400kg of chickens lol. We are now on Friday. Started on Wednesday. And I am still noticing them in her poo. Is this normal? I've been googling that much I've got myself in a pickle why is what has lead me here. I'd rather just ask like minded people. How long should the treatment take to work? Is there anything else I could be doing? Is it definitely worms or because of what chickens eat do they tend to have tiny things in their poo? I've read somewhere that they basically constantly have parasites and things running through them as of what they eat!?! Although I've never noticed this before so know that it can't be that true. I've also mown the lawn because I read that shorter grass is better as the UV rays kill parasote worm eggs. If I was too match the eggs in her poo to any of what I've seen online I would say cecal worms? I have a video and picture of her poo but didn't want to post that instantly. Sorry for waffling. But would really appreciated any advice. Thanks in advance

Hello and welcome to BYC! :welcome
Give it a bit more time and the worms should go away, do post the photos, it will help, I've seen more gruesome things than that.
I will say that you should get her some friends and build her a coop. Also to keep her healthy don't over due it on the treats, they should only make up less than 10% of her diet, no more. Are you allowed to have chickens where you live?
Thankyou so much for replying! Yes she doesn't actually have them every day literally like treats. She doesn't tend to be too fussed about other human foods. Yes we are allowed chickens , we are in the Uk in the countryside. She has a coop outside that we got when we first moved. It wasn't as big as I thought it was when I ordered it but she does go in it for an hour or two a day or when family comes around with dogs. She has a few dog friends. We had an American bull dog, for 15 years. And they were best buds but unfortunately he passed away I'm February. She arrived in November when he started getting poorly. I know it sounds daft but shes been my saving grace. We tried her with some hen friends a few months ago but she's just happier without. I think she thinks she's a dog as she loves my mums dog and the neighbours dog. Our previous neighbour also has pet sheep that she likes to sit on 🤭. She's honestly such a character. Will attach pic of poo if it let's me

contacted the vets and got a sachet of FLIMABOND and since Wednesday have been adding it to her water daily. Only about 1g. As 20g is for 1400kg of chickens lol. We are now on Friday. Started on Wednesday. And I am still noticing them in her poo. Is this normal?
She is absolutely fine in herself, poos are of normal consistency , she's eating drink normal not more or less, she's laying and she's her normal sassy self.
☝️☝️This statement right here, say a LOT. She is absolutely fine in herself.

Welcome To BYC
Can you get photos of the worms?

The vet gave you Flubendazole, so this should take care of most intestinal worms that chickens can have.
If you've seen an increase in intestinal worms being expelled since you've began treating her, then the dewormer is doing its job.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :welcome
Give it a bit more time and the worms should go away, do post the photos, it will help, I've seen more gruesome things than that.
I will say that you should get her some friends and build her a coop. Also to keep her healthy don't over due it on the treats, they should only make up less than 10% of her diet, no more. Are you allowed to have chickens where you live?

Sorry you lost your dog. :hugs
Chickens are the best! Some are so sweet like yours!
How did she do with the other hens?
She was bossy with them if they came near her and she made a lot of noise. Standing up and puffing and running about. And then if I let her out of the run or coop she'd just fly up to my shoulder. You know when you just know your pet, they're not happy in the desirable situation so that's why I started taking her to work . So she could be social with me and not be bored on her own . We also had two pet ducks at the past house in the field and she kept attacking them!!! Naughty Bhuna

The picture tells us that she has tapeworms, and regular wormers will not treat that. You need to get a wormer with praziquantel, such as droncit, and some horse wormers. In the US those are Equimax or Zimectrin Gold, but you should check with your vet in the UK in case they can give you those or a dog and cat tablet containing praziquantel or droncit.

Tapeworms are less common in chickens, and they get them by eating an intermediate host, such as earthworms, beetles, flies, grasshoppers, snails, and slugs that contain the tapeworm eggs. Removing access to those hosts, and picking up her contaminated droppings can help to control them.

You could try again but use the see-no-touch method. You don't really want to just throw them in together. Also if you get chicks they'll integrate easier.
Will definitely reconsider now we have moved house and getting settled. I thought about getting her some chicks. Are they any worming products you would recommend and how often to do it or just as and when? thanks again for replying

Will definitely reconsider now we have moved house and getting settled. I thought about getting her some chicks. Are they any worming products you would recommend and how often to do it or just as and when? thanks again for replying
I use safe guard goat dewormer (fenbendazole). I haven't dewormed my flock in awhile so I forgot the dosage, I'll try and find it. Also some dewormers won't work on certain worms. I'll tag the experts. @azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive

It wouldn't let me upload a video but those little white specks are all moving? And eventually stop. Thanks so much for your help everyone

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220827-123802_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220827-123802_Gallery.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom