Help please!!!! Shrink wrap question

dandydoodle

Songster
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
georgia
If a baby is shrink wrapped inside the egg but, you can see it moving can you save it? Should you do an emergency egg removal?

What day are you on in incubation and how do you know it's shrink wrapped?

*IF* it is in fact shrink wrapped, you can try misting it with a spray bottle filled with water just a little bit warmer than the incubator temp (water will cool as it's sprayed)... You can also take a wad of tissue and wet it, gently wrapping it around the egg if the chick has pipped.. Be sure to NOT cover the pip!

The best thing to do is make sure your humidity is where it should be and *leave the incubator ALONE!*

I've done a few dozen hatches and I can tell you from experience, helping a chick is a necessary evil at times but most times, it will end in heartache...

*IF* you absolutely need to open the incubator, please do so with caution... If you have a small bathroom, take the entire incubator into the bathroom and close the door... Turn the shower on FULL HOT and let it steam up really well.. I usually wait until I cannot see anything in the mirror but fog... (It really sucks if you wear glasses because they will steam up too! lol)... When the bathroom is completely steamed up, then you can safely open the bator... You want the humidity outside of the bator to be higher than it is inside so it does not drop and shrink wrap any more chicks... You can then either wrap the egg in wet tissue and place it back into the incubator as I suggested above or you can chip away at the shell (tiny pieces at a time!)... If you see ANY blood, STOP! Stop the bleeding by applying a small amount of pressure with tissue or q-tip and put the egg back into the incubator... Chicks do not have a lot of blood to begin with and bleeding can kill a chick quickly... If you do not see any bleeding but you see veins in the membrane, STOP! The chick is not yet ready to hatch because it had not yet absorbed the yolk... Again, wrap it in wet tissue and put it back into the incubator...

When you have either helped the chick hatch or have found it to not be ready yet, make sure the incubator is closed and go plug it back in....

Don't feel bad.. Again, I have helped chicks hatch too... Sometimes the outcome is good and other times it's bad... I've gotten to the point that I will ONLY help if it is a very last resort! (i.e. my 12 yr old son opened the bator while I had a bunch of pips on day 20 and they ALL got shrunk wrapped... I did exactly as I stated above and only lost 1!)

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Something else I will add...

It can take up to 24 hours from the time a chick pips to the time it begins zipping (sometimes a little longer).. If you are only going by the fact that it has pipped but it's not doing anything else, give it time... The chick may just be resting... Hatching takes a LOT of energy and they sleep/rest a lot during the hatching process...

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom